275 17s all around or 315s in rear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 275 17s all around or 315s in rear?

My tires are on their way out and I wan't to get new rims when I buy tires again. I am looking at the 17" ZR1 style Grand Sport offset rims prefferably the black ones . I am trying to decide wether to go with the 17x9.5s all around or the 17x19.5 fronts and 17x11 rears so I can put 315s out back. I could definately use the extra traction and I want to fill out the wheelwell better since the stock salad shooters look much too small and sunk in in the back, at least to me. Unfortunately with the 315s out back the tires can't be rotated and this is my daily driver. So I've been trying to figure out if the 315s are worth it, looks and performance wise. How well do the 275s fill up the wheel well? Is the traction alot better with the 315s over the 275s? I was also looking at the 17x9 SS rims w/ 275s as a cheaper option as well. What do guys think? Any help would be greatly apreciated......Thanks to the F-body Gurus........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

I swithed from the stock 16" 245's to 17" 275's on WS-6 wheels, and I think they fill the wheel well quite nicely. If you would like I could take and post a picture showing them from an angle to try to give you an idea.
    98 Arrest Me Red Z28 - A4 with 2 washers and B&M SuperCooler, SLP CAI and airbox lid, K&N filter, smooth bellows, WS6 polished wheels (17" x 9"), Power Slot front rotors

Comment

I did 285s all the way around on 17x9.5 ZR1s.

It looks sweet.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by pugmire
        I swithed from the stock 16" 245's to 17" 275's on WS-6 wheels, and I think they fill the wheel well quite nicely. If you would like I could take and post a picture showing them from an angle to try to give you an idea.
        That would be a great help. I'd really apreciate it. I know the 315s would look sweet but if the 275s or 285s do what I need I'll save the extra money and put it towards a catback. Thanks. Oh and TraceZ do you have any pics of the 285 ZR1 combo? If you do I'd love to see them. Also did you guys see a good increase in traction over the 245s. Thanks again Guys........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

here are some pics I just took for you.

Check out the Zainy Zaino finish! (5 coats so far)
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks, Those look real nice. Did you feel any improvment in traction over the 245s since traction is definately a concern for me. BTW I need Zaino, your Z looks so much more shiney than mine Later

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nice Guy
              Thanks, Those look real nice. Did you feel any improvment in traction over the 245s since traction is definately a concern for me. BTW I need Zaino, your Z looks so much more shiney than mine Later
              It grabs much better and there is less wheelspin on the shifts. I'm not sure if that is all due to the increased width, or the Firehawks being a different compound. Probably a combination of the 2.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

I have 315's on my car, however, I cannot say much about traction. Since my car is lowered and I have all the stock suspension components w/ the exception of an adjustable panhard bar (A must w/315's and lowered car) my car suffers from terrible traction problems. Lighting up the 315's on my car is really easy and takes very little effort. Now cornering on the other hand, is a major improvement over the stock 245's. Theoretically, 315's should grip better than 275's or even 285's due to the increase contact area given the tires are the same brand/model. The looks are also unbeatable, it just flat out looks mean with such a wide tire in the back. It looks much better in my opinion than having them even all the way around. But that doesnt mean that going w/ 9.5's all around looks bad, just look at Tracys car, thing looks sweet! Ken mentioned to me when I first got them, that such a wide rim will put more stress on the wheel bearings, but I've had them for over a year, and have had no problem w/ them at all.
                Attached Files
                1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

I think the 275's would be fine, and they fit better. Here's a pic of the 315's for your reference.

Comment

Kevin

Now that's what I call a muscle car look.

Did you have to do a lot to make them fit?

Rene
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

If you get the correct offset on the wheels, either 275's on 9.5's or 315's on 11's can fill the fenders, and look pretty good.

As a point of reference - 17x9.5 49mm offset OZ Monte Carlo's all the way around, with GY GS-C 275/40-17's. These were a major upgrade from the stock 245/50-16's, with regard to straight line traction and overall handling. I actually pulled these wheels/tires off the car with over 40K miles on them, and got a good price for them because the GS-C's still had about 1/3 of the tread left:

Those were replaced with the ZR1 replicas from AFS. Fronts are 17x9.5 56mm offset, with BFG KDW 275/40-17. Backs are 17x11 50mm offset, with BFG 315/35-17 Comp T/A Drag Radials. The 315 DR's were actually providing decent street traction at about the 500HP level, with 3.73's and an M6. Then with a TH400 and over 3,000rpm stall they held fairly well.... but 4.10's pretty much put them over the edge. Would not hook at all under any conditions with any nitrous added......

For the 17x11's w/ 315's..... IT VARIES FROM CAR TO CAR. Some people claim to be able to bolt the 17x11's right on and drive away. Others, like me, had to make some modifications. It appears to depend on the build tolerances of the car, the actual width of the tires (just because they are labeled "315" does not make the "section width" the same... it varies.... the BFG 315 DR's are huge, the Nitto 315 DR's are apparently a lot narrower.).

The corner of the jounce bumper bracket sticks out, and can catch the inside of the rim when you jack the car and the wheel drops. I cut the edge of the bracket off:

Then I hammered the inside of the fenders.... this may be a little excessive, but I knew I was going to have to fit even wider slicks on the car. Spray it with a little rubberized undercoat and the hammering sort of disappears.

I also found that on really hard shifts the body would torque sideways enough for the sharp inner edge of the fender opening "lip" to contact the tires, so I recentered the body over the axle with my adjustable panhard rod, and rolled the lip up a little with a tool called "The Jimmy"..... no more problems.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                        Kevin

Now that's what I call a muscle car look.

Did you have to do a lot to make them fit?

Rene
                        Just a few mighty whacks with a 6 pound sledge, mate! No worries!

Comment

Fred, where did you get "The Jimmy" tool? How does it work exactly? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                            I think the 275's would be fine, and they fit better. Here's a pic of the 315's for your reference.
                            That car really looks GOOD!!! Of course its easy with a green car . When I see a picture like that, it makes me wish I still had my "bolt-on" street car, with the Borla exhaust.....

One of our "club" guys has a 97 WS6, all black, with 1,000 miles on it - thinking of selling it.... I think that would make a nice daily driver.... if I could just resist molesting it for "just a little more power".

In the meantime, I can only put forth this version of a "muscle car"....

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                              Just a few mighty whacks with a 6 pound sledge, mate! No worries!
                              No problem there, my grandpa was a blacksmith and I grew up with lots of (biiiiig) hammers around. Should be able to handle that.

Thanks Fred for the nice picture presentation.
                              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                              X