Engine not starting well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine not starting well

Hey guys I've been having some engine trouble. All day yesterday my car was running beatifully. Then I decided to get some gas because the gas guage reads empty. I put a full tank of 91 octane in her get back in and try to start it but it would not start for a good 6 seconds. I get it started and then it idles at 2000 rpm. When I put it in neutral, let out the clutch it still idles at 1850 rpm for a couple of seconds before it goes back to the usual 850 rpm. I start to leave and the damn thing almost dies. I go back to my friends house leave the car there for a good 5 hours, come back and it starts after about 2 seconds, it idles like before but doesn't die. I then go home, start it three more times (of the 3 times twice it starts right up, once it hesitates and idles at 1850 rpm again). Any ideas as to what could have been the problem? I was thinking that the fuel filter needs to be replaced. Does this seem right?

Thanks
    94' Formula, T-56, Moroso CAI

It could be a MAF or a Idle air control valve. I'd check for any codes first. Get it scanned if the Check engine comes on.
    '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll check for any codes. I replaced the fuel filter and it still is acting up. It dies unless you ride the clutch, backfires and will not start back up again. I am beginning to think that the 83000 miles on the opti has done it's toll. All the new symptoms seem to be pointing towards the opti distributor.
      94' Formula, T-56, Moroso CAI

Comment

Working...
      X