98-02 sS sPOILER ON 94z ?'S WITHIN...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98-02 sS sPOILER ON 94z ?'S WITHIN...

Has anyone here put a 98-02 SS (LED) spoiler on a 94 Z , before ?

I put one on and now I get an ABS light when you start the car(not even move it). Also, The LED light is getting 6 volts with the key in the run position and the usual 12 volts when you apply the the brakes.

This makes the LED light ,light up half way at all times.I can't figure out what to do ...

What is the difference between the old (93-97) brake lights and the LED lights on the newer cars (ohms?) ?

Please help with any thoughts on this topic...

P.S. I have dumb luck when it comes to, what should be simple things with this car (damn GM engineering) !!!!!!

please dont type in all caps......subject line or elsewhere. against the rules. thanks.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

sorry about the caps. did not catch that in the topic line.

i will try to remember not to use capitol letters anytime ...

Comment

I just mounted the stock bulb from my 94 3rd brake light inline with the new wiring in the 98 plus ss spoilers . It made the abs light go off, and my cruise then worked again.. You can also go get a resistor and mount it inline too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon94za4
          I just mounted the stock bulb from my 94 3rd brake light inline with the new wiring in the 98 plus ss spoilers . It made the abs light go off, and my cruise then worked again.. You can also go get a resistor and mount it inline too.
          Brandon beat me too it... He is correct. Measure the resistance of your stock light assembly and go to Radioshack and get a resistor of that value. Stick the resistor in line with your new light.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            Brandon beat me too it... He is correct. Measure the resistance of your stock light assembly and go to Radioshack and get a resistor of that value. Stick the resistor in line with your new light.
            I have found out that I could put a relay in line to give more resistance on the brake light circuit.

would it be better to use the relay or the resistor ?

would a resistor get to hot if the brakes were applied for long periods of time?

1 more ?, Brandon, where did you put the 3rd light when you wired it up ?

Comment

I'd do the resistor first. JBweld it to a small CPU heatsink if you think it will get too hot.

If that doesnt work, try the realy.. I dont think it will be a problem though.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I just tucked the stock bulb under the plastic covering. Never had any probs.
                Brandon

Comment

Thanks Guys, I have got it to finally work RIGHT !

With some of you helping, and reading past posts on this topic, I have wired up a relay the does the job.

For future reference I will post what I got to make it work :
                  OMRON relay with these 2 #'s on the casing:
                  8567 and 12088567

Steps for fix;

1 Relay wih the pin #'s of 30, 86, 85, 87

the #30 gets power from the yellow wire .

the #86 also gets power from the yellow wire.
                  (tie, 30,86 and yellow wire together)

the #85 is Ground. (tie, 85, both of the ground wires from car and LEDlight together)

the #87 goes to the red wire for the LED light.

That is it. I did hear a little click in the back, but how many F-Body owners ride around with the radio turned down ?????

NOW, everybody that has or plans to get a 98-02 SS spoiler for the older cars, Save this document for people like me in the future.

Again, THANKS...

Comment

Working...
                  X