Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever used an auto transport company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever used an auto transport company?

I am flying to Washington state this Thursday to look at and purchase a race car. I am considering getting an auto transport company to get the car delivered here to TX instead of hauling the car 2200 miles myself.

Has anyone ever used an auto transport company before? What was your experience? Who was the company?

I've used one called T'n'T..... I think it stands for "truck and train". You take the car to the nearest major freight yard, and they put if in a railroad container box with one other car. Then the sealed unit is shipped to the nearest destination freight yard, and they take it out of the container. Your car is "driven" no more than a 1/10th of a mile on either end. I had both my wife's car and my Formula shipped from LA to NYC. About $700-800 each, but that was quite a few years ago.

You would have to see if they have anything in the area you are picking up the car, and near your destination.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the reply Fred. Do you know what they can do if the car has no motor? It will be a rolling chassis but not technically driveable I guess.

Comment

A friend of mine used one to bring a 1955 Bellaire from Rochester NY to Atlanta. It was a private company. The guy had a covered trailer that he pulled with a pickup. Something happened, I can't remember what. The guy had an accident or something. The car came out of the trailer and went careening off the side of the road down into the woods. It screwed it up pretty good. The guy didn't have insurance. He said he would pay for the damage but didn't. I think my friend just said the heck with it. It sat in his carport for 10 years. He recently started repairing it.

Moral of the story. Make sure who ever you use has insurance.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Kevin

check out this link

http://www.movecars.com/

Like Jeff said make sure they are insured. I usually had my cars moved on the moving van. The only other bigger thing we moved was a horse from Virginia to Ontario. We looked at a some horse mover companies but they all would take several days for the trip. Dropping off others and picking up along the way. Eventually we found a small company which drove directly through. It cost more but our horse was on a trailer for 16 hours only.

With not having a engine in the car I think you might be better off with a smaller outfit. Not sure how you feel about the car and how long you are willing to wait. Not long I bet.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks guys. I am spending the day making phone calls. I will have them fax me a copy of their insuarnce policy for sure. And yes I want that car back as soon as possible!

I am missing to many big payout races!

Spring Break Shootout was yesterday here at San Antonio Raceway. And a 9.60 won the Top Gun class which is what I would have run in. $17,200 went to first place. I could have easily beat him except for one major thing......... My car doesn't run yet.

Here was the winning pass. Looks like fun to me!! :
            http://www.ls1tech.com/~brian/video/APE-SBSO-2004.wmv

Comment

I found a company called Aries Auto Transport that is going to transport my 97 Camaro from Yakima, WA to New Braunfels, TX for $925. Everyone else I called was in the $1300-$1700 range. I changed my flight to Monday to go see the car.

Man I can't wait to get it home and get my motor in it!

Comment

http://www.intercitylines.com/

I had my LT4 shipped from Arizona to CT for $1,200 to my front door. Very professional to say the least, highly recommend. All the vehicles were individually covered, but more importantly the entire trailer was enclosed. Some Transport Companies actually use tarps to cover the sides of the Trailer. Good luck.

Later

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  I found a company called Aries Auto Transport that is going to transport my 97 Camaro from Yakima, WA to New Braunfels, TX for $925. Everyone else I called was in the $1300-$1700 range. I changed my flight to Monday to go see the car.

Man I can't wait to get it home and get my motor in it!
                  Even 925 seems high to me, I bet it costs more because it isn't driveable.

I got mine shipped from Texas to Wisconsin for $500, but it ran and drove.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yeah there is a 150 charge to winch the car on the transporter. I don't mind paying the $925. I was looking at around that amount in just renting a truck and a car hauler. Not to mention gas, lodging, food, and the 2200 mile agonizing drive back.

So I figure it is worth the time saved and convenience factor.

Comment

I think I started a bidding war. I have been receiving gradually lower and lower transport quotes via email. Down to $875 and counting!! Whoever is the lowest by noon tomorrow gets my money.

Comment

Working...
                      X