Dumb question...ran out of gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question...ran out of gas

Hey all, hoping you could help with my dumb@$$ mistake. Almost ran the T/A dry last night. It started to sputter and I shut it down so it wouldn't go all the way dry. I filled it from a portable container with 4 gallons. Now it won't start at all. Tried about a dozen times. Sometimes with the pedal down, sometimes with no pedal, and a couple of times with the key in "drive" for a bit before going to "start" (just to run the fuel pump). All of this didn't work. Any ideas before I have to tow it. Any info would help. Thanks, K

Couple of points...

It is never good to run yourself dry on gas. The fuel pump is cooled by the gas itself, so it is very possible you have fried your fuel pump -- this is the first thing I'd probably investigate.

Secondly, you probably pulled some air into your injectors. Now, I've seen cases where this wasn't a big deal; and I've seen cases where it meant time for new injectors.

The best bet I guess is to take it to a local shop and have them test the fuel pump and go from there.

Rob
    1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

Comment

I would pop the bellows loose and squirt some gas or starter fluid in the intake and see if it will fire. Other than that, you could put a gauge on the fuel rail and make sure there's pressure there and check for spark at one of the plugs.

Comment

Yeah I agree with rstinnett,

I think you fried your Fuel pump, you'll have to probably get it replaced, hopefully your under warranty.
        Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try to get some fuel in the intake. Assuming I don't toast myself and the car I'll either drive away happy or tow it to the dealer for a checkup. Thanks for the info, K

Comment

Working...
          X