Cleaning Throttle Body?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Throttle Body?

Any suggestions on how and should it be taken off first?

If you are just looking to clean the carbon out of the TB and intake, they make TB cleaner. You should be able to get it at any parts place- just make sure you use the TB cleaner and not carb or choke cleaner. The TB cleaner is supposed to be safe for the electronics and sensors.

Also you won't have to remove it, there are directions on the can for the details.
    99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
    93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Thank You! I will try it next weekend. I looked inside and even touched it and it was thick black soot. Hope that crap doesn't clog stuff up when I spray the cleaner inside.

Comment

It shouldn't, I had to clean out the TB in my TA last year because the carbon had built up and the blades were sticking. I just followed the directions on the can and it cleaned it right up.
        99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
        93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

You can make a case for pulling the TB off the car and doing a complete job. That would involve removing the top plate to check for any oil accumulation, and removing the IAC motor to clean the pintle. You can also make sure the passages to and from the IAC motor are clean, and that you don't leave any harmful residue in there that will gum things up. You would need a gasket for the TB-to-intake manfold connection (available separately from dealer) and a gasket for the top cover plate (available from the dealer in a kit with the gasket for the bottom plate also.)

While you have the TB removed, do the "TB bypass" mod and remove the hot coolant from the TB.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X