Put on fan switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put on fan switch

I put on a fan switch today and all I can say is I wish I would have done that along time ago. I always hated seeing the temperature rise over 220 when I was sitting in traffic and planned on getting computer tunning but never had the money to order a hypertech or anything like that so I just decided to go with a switch. It is noticable difference in power when I keep it around 170 instead of 220 or 230. I have a 160 t-stat to should this help at the drags any?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

You should notice a difference, in my experince i have found that Lt1's like to run in the 180 to 200 degree range! I think mostly do to the reverse flow cooling and 10.5 compression!

Comment

Amen on the running cool thing. I put one in my car, and it made a world of difference. Then when I started running nitrous, I got a Hypertech so that I could up the rev limiter. I didn't know you could turn on the fans with it, so I looked at it as 2 mods for the price of one. I run my car in the summer here in Mobile (95 is considered normal around here with 100% humidity) with the AC on and it never even gets above the second mark.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Do you guys run the fan full time or switch it on manually when it heats up. I'm just afraid I'll forget to turn it on one day and bake the motor.

96 TA Sold!
        87 TA Sold!
        80 Z28 Sold!
        74 Formula Sold!
        73 Z28 Sold!
        69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I have the SLP switch and the fans still come on automatically I use the switch in traffic or on slow cruises works great..I was more worried about forgeting to turn the fans off but you hear them once the engine is off
          1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
          1 of 463
          LT4 knock module
          D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
          strut tower brace
          SLP fan switch
          160* t/stat
          Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
          DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

I'll have to check that out. I didn't feel like paying $300 for a hypertech just to change the fan settings.

96 TA Sold!
            87 TA Sold!
            80 Z28 Sold!
            74 Formula Sold!
            73 Z28 Sold!
            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

If i recall I paid about $70.00 and it is a painless install plugs into the wiring harness (no cutting) and I mounted the switch next to the vert switch and it has a low and high fan speed setting
              1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
              1 of 463
              LT4 knock module
              strut tower brace
              SLP fan switch
              160* t/stat

Pictures Here

Comment

Will the same switch work for V6s? With the hot humid air here, my temp goes up to the automatic fan point whenever I'm stopped...
                1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Yep heres the link to SLP
                  Fan Switch
                  1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                  1 of 463
                  LT4 knock module
                  strut tower brace
                  SLP fan switch
                  160* t/stat

Pictures Here

Comment

I just wired the switch to the hot wire for my cd player so if i foget it goes off when I shut the car off. I just put a small solenoid under the hood and ran the power directly to the fans and my automatics still work if I'd forget but I think it would be hard to do I just like being able to keep my car under 200. I also put a very small LED light down near my leg on the drivers side which isn't noticeable unless you look down at it just so I remeber when its on. I've heard it helps quarter times to keep the temperature down. Any truth in this? If so how much?
                    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Thanks BadWS6.

94 Formula- Nice idea concerning the LED...
                      1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by BadWS6
                        I have the SLP switch and the fans still come on automatically I use the switch in traffic or on slow cruises works great..I was more worried about forgeting to turn the fans off but you hear them once the engine is off
                        That's why I got mine. For use in traffic. Once it gets a little warmer here I'll install it. I'm still thinking on adding two led's which tell you when the fans are running.
                        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

LEDs associated with the fan switch

I also have installed the SLP fan switch and like the results. I also was thinking of adding two LEDs that would light up (one for each of the fans).

I do have a question: The switch has three wires going to it (one ground, one for the low fan, and one for the high fan). Would there be a problem if I splice into each of the fan wires and connect them each to the negative wire of an LED (one LED for each of the two fans) and have the positive lead come from the fuse panel?

Thanks,
                          Jeff

Comment

That should work fine with the two negatives....I think. lol I'm not the best with wiring but know a little. I just wired up both fans to one switch cause if I flip it on when the gauge reads 210 it'll take it down to 160 in about 25 seconds so I figured it would just hook up both. Having two seperate would be nice though for low speed cruising.

Comment

I made my own switch, cost me a whole, ohh, $0. I only did the lowside, but activated both fans. The highside I leave for the AC. Mine's hooked into my parking lights, but haven't had to use it since I got the Hypertech.
                              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
                              X