cut-outs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut-outs

okay, so I am going to be getting two sets of cut-outs. One for the LT1 that is going in the '36 Chevy, and another for my car-a '86 Caprice Classic with a new 350 and TPI.
    The TPI car is going to be running basically stock exhaust, but I want the cut-out because I want to sit at a light and open it up to embarrass the ricers. The LT1 is going to have a nice exhuast with headers and all, probably 2.5-3".

So does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should buy? All I could find in Summit was a mechanical kind from Mr. Gasket which looks pretty decent, and costs $47. I really don't mind a mechanical sytem to much, since the difference in price between that and an electrical one is fairly big.

So, just post what you have, and what you suggest I should buy, and if this Mr. Gasket thing is a good deal at all, or what.

Thanks in advance.
    my car:
    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

What size is the cutout in Summit? I know that a lot of people would like to have control of cutouts from the interior, but have been unable to find a cutout big enough to not restrict the exhaust on a 4th gen f-body (which comes with 3 inch exhaust). If it's less than 3", which most mechanicals are, you will probably lose power by installing it, since the smaller pipe will restrict more air than your muffler.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

Just a heads up. If you have the factory exhaust manifolds on either of these motors you are not going to like the way a cutout sounds and will likely lose a little power since the factory exhaust manifolds are dependant on some backpressure.

But if you have headers and a little lope, it will sound righteous!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
        http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

Just a heads up. If you have the factory exhaust manifolds on either of these motors you are not going to like the way a cutout sounds and will likely lose a little power since the factory exhaust manifolds are dependant on some backpressure.

But if you have headers and a little lope, it will sound righteous!
        but I am putting this motor in a '86 Caprice Classic. It sucks because I don't think you can use just any 'ole set of headers due to the frame sitting right there.

also, MN6WS6:
        I just looked it up, and its 2"
        so much for that idea.

Wait, I still want to keep my stock exhaust. See guys, I want this thing to cruise with the stock sound, maybe a little more rumble if I get the headers, but thats it. What if I get a decent set of headers at 2.5-3", and put the cut-outs right at the ending of the headers? My dad is a welder, so we can make a flange to go from the 2.5-3" into the 2" of the cut-out, then the rest of the stock exhaust is the 2", right? So it would all match up.......
        Don't know how it would coming from a 2" pipe though.

oh, and for those who care, there are a BUNCH of different kinds of cut-outs that are 3", or even more, but require you to get under the car and take off 3 nuts, and this plate comes off. That would be great for some people if they were on the track and all, but the one I am looking at is like a cable kind. Pull the cable, and the things open up. That is the kind I want (well, I REALLY want hte electrical ones, but......)
        my car:

the project:
        check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Yeah, most of us know about the ole manual style, because a lot of us have them. About your only choice, is the low budget "unbolt it yourself" or the high dollar electric style. I currently have a low budget one, but it stays bolted up cause I don't feel like crawling down there and unbolting it. I've drawn up a couple of ideas to make my own electric, just too busy to try and actually make it work. But if you could find a 3" cable pull, I'd jump on it and save a lot of work.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
            Yeah, most of us know about the ole manual style, because a lot of us have them. About your only choice, is the low budget "unbolt it yourself" or the high dollar electric style. I currently have a low budget one, but it stays bolted up cause I don't feel like crawling down there and unbolting it. I've drawn up a couple of ideas to make my own electric, just too busy to try and actually make it work. But if you could find a 3" cable pull, I'd jump on it and save a lot of work.
            I might just have to make my own cable pull if I want the 3"

does anyone know where I can get a really good diagram of how they are made? Like how the blade is positioned and all......
            my car:

the project:

Comment

They make 3 and 3 1/2 cutouts.

http://lt1f-body.racenet.net/mufflers.php

Comment

They make 3 and 3 1/2 cutouts.

http://lt1f-body.racenet.net/mufflers.php
                yea, we knew about those, but I want the cable-operated ones. I want to be able to open them up while at a stop light or somethin
                my car:

the project:

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
                  yea, we knew about those, but I want the cable-operated ones. I want to be able to open them up while at a stop light or somethin
                  The part that you are looking for is a POS. The cable operated type hang up, they leak, and in general don't perform well at all. You get what you pay for. An electric screw type motor has been the only viable way to remotely open the cutout from inside the car. The plate type with 3 wignuts works well at the track, but isn't remotely operated. This is where the electric valve bolted to a standard cutout is THE way to go if you want it remotely operated.

Good is not cheap and cheap is not good. Which are you going to put on your car?

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I think $350 for a pair of electric cutout setups is well worth the price for not having to crawl on the ground or pull a cable.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I think $350 for a pair of electric cutout setups is well worth the price for not having to crawl on the ground or pull a cable.
                      true. The price might be worth it, but its still $350.

I'm only 16, and would rather spend that money on insurance, a new set of runners, and some PROM burning stuff.

just what I'd do with my money though
                      my car:

the project:

Comment

Working...
                      X