torque converter problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torque converter problems

Hello , I just installed my new 2800 stall vigalante converter and having trouble will it! I've been going to the track and learning how to use my converter on a launch. My 60 foot time showes it like it when I power brake it to around 2000 rpm 1.90 60ft. But when I'm done racing the tranny won't go back in to first gear. I turn off the car, let the car cool down then restart car and everything is back to normal. I don't know whats going on. It only does that when I power brake to car. It will almost do that every time, its like the computer goes into a limp mode. I don't know what to do. Has anyone run into this problem. Please help!

Your tranny oil may be overheating....Did you install a tranny oil cooler when the TC went in.....that is a requirement most of the time when installing a higher stall TC.
    95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Torque Converter

No I didn't install a cooler. I called Precision Industy and asked them about it , they said it was not required.
      They said higher stall won't cause heat on thier converters. At the track you wait so long in line before you race I don't know if it could heat up enouph. I do warm up the tires in the wet box so it could be possible, I'll try anything! Thanks for info!

Comment

hmmm

1.9 60 ft on street tires?

I cut 1.734 on on Nitto Drag Radials, 19 psi in the tires.

Anyways, sounds like your tranny might have
        problems.

I installed a Trans Go shift kit, deep dish aluminum pan, and the b&m super cooler.

I also broke the converter in as precision
        industries suggested ( 30 lockups/unlockups )
        while driving.

Comment

I do have nittos but I haven't done enouph runs yet. Also have stock 2.73 with no suspension mods. My tires still spun slightly on a power brake launch . Back to problem never really broke in converter like manufactor recommended . Just kind of beat on it after installation.

Comment

I actually called Precision Industries and they told me when you do your burn out that converter look-up engages and the only thing they know helps is turning the car off and then restarting it or getting a converter lock-up switch
            I LOVE COBRA'S -
            THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

I have a Vigilante 3000 stall converter and dont have any such problem, but I can give you some insight about a few things.

First of all, you should get a cooler, a deep pan, and a shift kit like BAS says. These things all help keep the tranny heat out and make the thing live for a while at the track. I have all these things in addition to a beefed up tranny, an external filter, and a needle thrust bearing installed in the Vigilante. You also need to take out the ball in the input shaft so the converter pump gets more fluid and 95s have a modulated lockup which you need to disable so you get a hard lockup like the 94s and not a soft one.

I'm not saying this is what happenned to you because of your 60 times are too high, but FYI - Some LT1 cars have a problem with high stall when they start to go faster than 1.7 sixty times. The problem is that the transmissions go into a 1-3 shift limp-home mode due to the reluctor in the tailshaft not having enough resolution and the PCM cant make sense out of the rpm/speed differences that a good launch can cause. Some cars never do it and some do. there's a lot of speculation as to why, but some of the better tuners claim to have a solution to it.

Anyway, at the minimum, you should get the cooler and probably the other stuff I mentioned if you want it to last at the track.

Comment

i've seen coolers around 75 bucks its a good deal for the extended life of the car
                Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

Working...
                X