Putting on a t/a door.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting on a t/a door.

I have a crack in my door that i want to get fixed. But it is all the way threw the fiberglass. So i just figured i would get a new door. My question is how hard is it to put a door on? It is the driver side door. I found a door off a 2000 ws6 but my car is only a 96. Would there be any problems? Also the 2000 door is silver and my car is black do you think it would be hard to paint the whole door black. Would the wiring be hard to change from the 96 to the 2000. thanks tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

ttt
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

The door install is fairly easy, but they are heavy and awkward. It definatly take two people unless you get really creative. The biggist headache is the alignment of the door and the re-alignment of the window to the weatherstrips as the glass is aligned specifically to each individual car. Personally, since these panels are SMC (sheet molded composit) and not fiberglass, the repair is really easy. Even if it were fiberglass, the work to fix is still easier than pulling the door, replacing it, refinishing and painting. IMHO, I would fix what is already there. You won't even be able to tell that it was ever cracked.

Comment

Joe is right. That stuff is easy to repair. It has some small cracks in it right above the handle / opener. I have mine done once I get the T/A out of winter storage.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Even if my crack is right under the side mirror it is like 2.5-3inches long running down the door then it runs up over the top of the door crease and to the window. Thats how it came from the factory, the guy I bought the car from was just to lazy to get up and fix it even though he could have had it done for free from the factory. That was the only problem with the car.

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem.

You would have to grind out the crack almost like a V shape and then get the right stuff for the door material to fill it in. Let it dry / harden and grind the excess material off until it's all smooth. Some composits require a special (more flexible primer). Then paint and it should be like new.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

ok thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
              X