Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas prices and OPEC prompted my new project...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices and OPEC prompted my new project...

I have been contemplating this for awhile... The '77 Blazer is sitting out in the fence with a '87 Suburban by its side. I bought the 'burban mainly for parts. I have most of what I need to start the build-up. I am going to convert the Blazer to run on Ethanol, build an alcohol motor(set up two identical carbs one jetted for alcohol and one for gas), build the 700R4 & 208 out of the 'burban, update the front clip from the 'burban, transfer the AC, buy 3/4 3" lift springs, rebuild the Dana 44 & 12 Bolt, cut & patch the rust, paint, and go crazy. ...when I am done, I should get "Alternative Fuel Vehicle" tax credits to boot. The interior is already done, but I am going to put a hardwood floor in the box. I live next to the farm lands in Eastern Colorado. There is a big truck stop complex about 4 miles from my house that sells Ethanol for $1.93 per gallon. I can support the farmers, give OPEC the bird, and have fun all at the same time. Wish me luck on the project. I have a lot of work ahead of me; hopefully it won't stop me from getting the '97 T/A done If all goes well, the Vette is next!
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

What kind of mileaqe does ethanol have in comparison to Gas? I thought it was worse cause you need more ethanol?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
      What kind of mileaqe does ethanol have in comparison to Gas? I thought it was worse cause you need more ethanol?
      To be honest, I am not sure what it will be... I imagine with my build-up, it won't be great. The jets are about 20-25% bigger so I imagine it will consume more; I don't know how much more. However, I am willing to pay more for fuel that stays here then support the likes of OPEC. With our national average mpg at 20.1mpg we will see some pretty big hikes in prices over the next few years so it should all even out with the tax credits. If not, I am OK with it ...I will have fun in the process.

I am going to do a conversion with my existing engine this summer: new compression rings, bearings, cam, decking the heads to bump up the compression(getting Dart heads anyway), and re-jetting the carb. We shall see what it does, and it will give me more data for my engine build-up.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

How about you just set up a still and make yer own!
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Oh yeah... the fuel used is going to be close to 50% more. The motor should run nice and cool though.

Comment

Working...
          X