What gears?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gears?

Ok, after my recent rear end whine, I've decided to take it to a local shop and get them to do my gear upgrade. What brand should I use? I've been looking at the Motives. I can take a LITTLE noise, but my main concern is durability. What ratio is recommended, the 3.73, or 4.10? I've heard that the 4.10 gears take some top speed off, is this true, and if so how much from the 3.42? When changing the ratio what all other services should I make sure the shop does (like maybe calibrate the spedo)? I've done a lot of mechanical work, but I've never messed around with the rear, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

First, get GM motive gears. Mike at Stealth Performance usually has a great price on them and also has the installation kits which include all the bearings and stuff needed to rebuild the rear except for the posi unit.

As a rule of thumb, 3.73 for automatics, 4.10 for stick cars if you are staying normally aspirated. With a power adder (nitrous, turbo or supercharger), the rule of thumb is 3.73s for stick cars.

As far as the speedo, you'll need to pick up some form of tuner like a Hypertech and reprogram the speedo yourself. Most driveline shops don't do electronic stuff.

You also won't have to worry about losing top speed. With the stock ratio, the double overdrive doesn't allow the motor to reach it's power peak in top gear anyway. After the gear change, the car's top speed should remain the same.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the reply. I've pretty much been looking around at different posts for the past 2 hours and had almost already made my mind up on the Motive/4.10 gears. As for the programmer, the guy I bought the car from had one and he gave it to me with the car. I think I got a pretty good deal for everything. I paid $5,300 for the car with everything in my signature, leather interior in excellent shape (except the common crack on the dash). Thanks again for the input.

Aaron
      '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Well, I got my baby towed to a local shop today, but they won't be able to get to it untill Monday . I'm to hear if it is a problem with the gears or the backlash making the noise. If the gears are fine, I'm probably just going to leave them in. If the gears are shot, then I get to put the 4.10s in. Isn't it ironic how I can wish that something is wrong with them? Ok, everyone pray for messed up gears, and I'll keep you posted.

Aaron

Comment

what common crack are you guys talking about in the dash. Where is it? Because I have been in a ton of f-body's and have ever had a crack in the dash.
          1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Just a heads up:

Another guy as well as myself needed a new drive-shaft and tranny tailshaft bushing after the install. The drive-shaft slip-yoke developed a nice vibration at highway speeds. You will love the 4.10s though...it woke up the care nicely.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm not sure about all f-bodys, but the z28 has a grill or vent in the center of the dash that cracks real easy. It only cracks at the grill, and shouldn't spread unless some major force is applied. Before I bought mine, I was looking at many others, and at least 1 out of every 5 had this.

Aaron

Comment

The drive-shaft slip-yoke developed a nice vibration at highway speeds.
                When you say the drive-shaft slip-yoke, you mean the pinion yoke right?

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                  Just a heads up:

Another guy as well as myself needed a new drive-shaft and tranny tailshaft bushing after the install. The drive-shaft slip-yoke developed a nice vibration at highway speeds. You will love the 4.10s though...it woke up the care nicely.
                  yeah i just had motive 4.10s installed in my ride and wow. They really let your car put its power to the ground. I like the way to car hops up when i launch it now. There is a slight whine above 40 mph but it is not bad at all(they passed the girlfriend's quietness test ) so by all means go with the 4.10s

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
                  Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

you will love the Motive 4.10's.....really wakes a car up
                    DWS
                    Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

The way yall are talking....I'll be putting the 4.10s in there if the stock are shot or not.....what are you doing to me???

Comment

Working...
                      X