• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• build or ditch

i have a 86 iroz z z28 red t tops 100k 305 tpi with 700r4 auto trans

and i am bout do 2 build a new engine

and i was wonderin

should i soup up the 305 in it now or drop a new engine in?

if so what engine should i drop in?

what other mods do u recomceng

i am lookin to get 450 to 550 hp

It will cost a fortune to get 450 hp from a 305 tpi.

Your best bet is to buy a complete LT1 driveline from a low mile wreck. Get the motor, transmission PCM and harness. Have the heads ported with bigger valves, port match the intake and install a bigger cam. Do headers, a CAI and catback. Have the PCM reprogrammed. Dont forget to have a shift kit installed in the trans, or it will die a fast death. You may even decide to get the 6-speed instead and convert it. That would be sweet... a LT1, 6 speed Iroc!

Getting the guages to work will be a challenge. I'd try to retro fit the guages from the LT1 car somehow instead.

This is the cheapest most reliable way I can think of getting that kind of power into your car... given the fact the current motor is toast anyway.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

yea i am going with a manuel tran

but that sounds like a good idea ill look into it and see what i can find

anymore?

Comment

I'd look on the forums here and at camaroz28.com. Also give Billy Graham a a call.

Billy's F-body salvage

Good luck!
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I would also not mess with trying to squeeze hp out of a 305. It would be much cheaper to build a sbc but an LT1 would be pretty nice in the IROC.

SBC and LT1 block can be had on ebay for very cheap but I would be a litte leary of purchasing a block that I could not physically inspect.
          Call some of your local speedshops and ask them if they have any LT1 or SBC blocks lying around. I just bought an LT1 block in very good shape for $350.

Comment

Another way you could go, that would be interesting is an LS1 swap. Edelbrock makes a carb LS1 intake and ignition system.....something different

Comment

i was lookin at that billys f body salvage and that have a LT1 longblock for 3500$

and alambama is only a few 100 miles away from me (nashville)

Comment

Originally posted by 86IROC-Z
                i was lookin at that billys f body salvage and that have a LT1 longblock for 3500$

Did that include the works? Complete running engine attached to transmission with clutch and belhousing, PCM and wiring harness? That seems way too much for just an engine.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

I am in the same delema, just a little different. and all I have heard from everybody, here and in conversations with friends and professionals is to ditch the 305 and go for the 350....they are out there everywhere, and I am sure you could find some tpi stuff for it. but it all depends on how much you want to spend, and how much time you have to work with. I am shooting for about 480 when I am completly finished....but I am going all out this time. nothing but the best...I have had enough experiences with cheap parts.
                  82 camaro x2:
                  82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
                  82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

How many miles did they tell you were on the motor?

Comment

http://www.billygrahamscamaro.com/parts.asp

there it is

how much u think it will cost to do a total LT1 swap

with ever thing u need?

Comment

http://www.billygrahamscamaro.com/parts.asp

there it is

how much u think it will cost to do a total LT1 swap

with ever thing u need?
                        That link takes me to a LS1 longblock not a LT1.

Comment

ahhhh duh!!

silly me

what about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33615

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33615

what i am really wanted is somethin no body else has
                          like if some guys pulls up next to me at a light and says what u runnin and im like 350 for example and he says me 2

i really dont want that

and ther are a lot of punks with rice burners and i would love to blow them away

IF U FELL ME???

i also like the 383 strokers but i want some kind of odd number
                          like 413 or 406 etc

although i do like the 383 stroker

i want to do away with all the electrical stuff that why i am kinda leading away from the LT1 i want a carb or 2

anybody a link to a site i can enter the block size and get the stroker for it?

just want to see what its like

Comment

A 406 inch SBC definitely is one of the most effective as far as hp per cubic inch. That motor can make very good power if done right!

Comment

i really dont know much about displacment and stuff

so

what is a 406

350 bored or what??

Comment

Working...
                              X