HAL QA1 shock bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAL QA1 shock bolts

I was going to get the QA1 shocks put on in the rear, but I definately don't want to reuse those stock studs! I remember seeing something about using Grade 8 bolts, but can't find the link. Anybody know the length, thread etc... Also, do I need new bolts for BMR LCA's?
    1995 Firebird Formula
    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Sounds like you need "Step 1" and "Step 13" from my online QA1/HAL shock install procedure:
    1. Make sure you have lower mounting bolts. (HAL specific, but for any shocks, make sure you have a lower mounting bolt). First I asked HAL what bolts to get. They replied "Try this, Dorman PN 661-001 Universal Shock mount Bolt". Well, after about half a dozen auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Kar Parts, Thul’s), and no Dorman’s of that description, I bought the following:

-Two 2-1/2" long by ½" diameter x 13tpi (coarse) Grade 8 bolts. The "fine" threads might be a better choice, but they were not available in -1/2" lengths where I bought them.

-Two matching ½" coarse Grade 8 nuts.

Two "lesser" ½" nuts, these were thinner than the Grade 8, to be used mainly as spacers.

-Four matching ½" flat washers

-Two ½" lock washers.

13. Put the lower shock bolt through the hole in the axle bracket, no washer on the shock side, but add a lock washer on the nut side. Add a nut and tighten to 66 ft-lb. On mine, the bolt was still about 1/8" inside the nut, but this is a wide, strong nut, and should not be a problem. Going to a 3" bolt is no good, because the shoulder is too long to allow you to tighten the inner nut against the sleeve. You might also consider not using the inner nut, but it seemed to me that the arrangement I described above put the shock in the proper position, similar to the factory unit, clear of the axle mounting bracket, and totally vertical.
    You can see the end result in this photo:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Fred!!!
      1995 Firebird Formula
      (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
      X