Need help for project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for project

I was considering fully building an ls1 to throw in the 97 ws6 as a project and was kinda hesitant cause i thought i would have to change the whole front body section of my beautiful 97 . But then i saw a site that Fast TA posted where a 95 T/A was converted to a 98+ front end but retained the LT-1. On that car they utilized the airlid from the LS1 to work with the lt1.... so my question can this be done in reverse? Can i drop a ls1 in my car and use my lt1 ram air box if decide to go down that road?
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Anyone know???
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

An LS1 and a LT1 have virtually nothing in common. Fitting a LT1 car with a LS1 motor can be done but requires time and money.

Splicing in the different LS1 PCM, LS1 motor mounts, LS1 compatible tranny, different y-pipe, etc., etc.. are just a few things that make this an interesting conversion.

I will be doing this very soon myself in my 97 WS6!

Comment

Yeah i knew it would take some modifications to get the LS1 in there but wanted to know if i could use my lt1 ram air box with the ls1. Basically i want my car's appearance to stay the same and would like my hood to be functional if at all possible.
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

The air lid would probably be the least of your worries. Thats just a matter of making the duct work match up. You can customize something. I would worry more about the other things such as actual hood clearance, motor mounts, bellhousing, & ELECTRONICS (the big worry). Its a doable project, but why? You can make that LT1 run just as well - with the right mods. Just my $.02
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

For the gains you are looking for, your money would be much better spent doing something like Fred has done with his LT1.

Comment

Yeah I know it would be tough but i was just wondering about the airbox. As far as modding my LT1 goes i am not trying to make my current engine into a race engine. I am just going to build a 427 on the LS1 platform engine in my uncles speedshop over a looooonnnnnggggggg period of time since i will be acquiring parts on a $ basis. I am just trying to get some info on putting it in my car if i plan to do that because as of right now I am not sure if it will be dropped into my car(this is why i don't want to build my LT1). I was just wondering if the Airbox in my ws6 can bolt up to the maf for an ls1(I heard they are the same) and power the engine.
              1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Working...
              X