More read end questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More read end questions

Ok, I got word from the shop today that my gears are shot (WOO HOO!), and the diff. can be used, but there is an issue where something is loose and every time I accelerate I run the possibility of widening the backlash thus causeing accelerated wear on the gears. My main question is....should I put a Zexel-Torsen, or a Eaton diff. in there (links for each one is at the bottom of my post)?. At the moment I'm not planning on pushing a great deal of hp (350-375 tops), so do you think the Zexel-Torsen would hold up, or should I just throw in the Eaton anyway? Maybe another brand I've failed to research? Oh, and I have decided to get the 4.10 Motives for sure.

Eaton Zexel-Torsen

Thanks
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Whats wrong with the stock carrier?

If you have to change - I like the eaton.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
      I like the eaton.
      Yep. Eaton for the dragstrip traction.

Torsen gets the nod for the road course though. More forgiving in the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Yep. Eaton for the dragstrip traction.

Torsen gets the nod for the road course though. More forgiving in the corners.
        More forgiving, as in it won't eat up your tires as fast? Will the Torsen hold up to say.....400 hp? I want something that will last. Oh, and do either of these make any noise?
        '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          Whats wrong with the stock carrier?

If you have to change - I like the eaton.
          Not exactly sure at the moment. I talked to the shop briefly about it, but had to cut them short becase I had some other important business to attend to and didn't get to call them back untill they had already closed. I think I remember him saying something internally was loose (probably from when I did a 180 on the highway and slammed the rear wheel into a curb about 2 months ago). Just about any way it goes, I'd like to replace everything in the rear after a jar like that anyway. Already replace a wheel, rotor, and shaft. I'm doing the gears too, so what's one more thing....right?

Comment

Eaton's are well worth the xtra dough.

Comment

Would the Eaton be applicable for a daily driver, will I see fast wear on my tires (other than the normal burn outs)?

Comment

The eaton applies power to both rear wheels equally. When one wheel tries to turn, it is tied via clutches to the other axle. Power is applied to both wheels. The Torsen operates differently. When one wheel starts to spin like when powering out of a corner, torque is transferred to the wheel with the most available traction. The torsen is better for road racing/street , the eaton for street/strip performance.

Comment

Ok, I think I'll go ahead and get the Eaton. I just sounds like it can take more abuse than the Torsen, not to mention the old saying "you get what you pay for". Thanks everyone.

Comment

The eaton will be good on the street. No noise. As Joe said though, they work in a little different way. The eaton will still give you a differential around corners, but the clutches are applied all the time (even more so on hard launches), except when there is a torque difference when turning. The eaton is a good choice.
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                    X