Turbo questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detroit_Bird
    I'm not against power adders, but I think I know where DJ Taso is coming from. Our cars, while capable of massive power with turbochargers and the like, don't really need them to be "fast" street cars, although they make it easy to do so. There's enough guys running 450 horse N/A smallblocks to back me up here.

I'm not sure if you could ever match the output of a turbo LS1 with an N/A motor, but you sure could stomp all over a slew of turbo hondas, mitsubishis, and the like. All the time being able to tell them that your big american gas-hog V8 doesn't need any help from Garrett to smoke their little rice rockets.
    I am not saying the N/A L*1's are not fast the way they sit, but this guy is classifying a turboed F-bod as rice. It is just not right. And I had a WRX that ran mid 12s before my current T/A. Even H/C(Small cam) cars, I was still beating up on LS1's(No offense to LT1 owners but it was not even a race unless they were spraying). My current T/A has Comp 224 XER cam and Patriot S2 "LS6" heads with all bolt ons and I would not hesitate to strap a turbo onto it if I had the means to do it.

Plain and simple, turbo does not equal rice. As was mentioned before, back in the day, a few special editions came with turbo'd v-6s out of the GN.

Oh and by the way Taso, you said you were not crazy about the GTA?? They came with the Vette motors, not turbo.

Comment

I don't think a turbo charger can ever be called rice, even if it is on a Honda. A turbo is a serious power adder, and performs. Not all imports are rice, and a stock looking import with a turbo is not rice either.

Rice is stuff like clear tail lights, big wings, neon, 18" wheels with little drum brakes, etc.... Stuff that has no real performance gain.

A turbo has a serious performance gain, and does not qualify as rice.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        I don't think so...... Call this rice , eh?
        LOVE the Grand National...Nice Ride!!! I would love to see more pics of it!
        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan98T/A
          Oh and by the way Taso, you said you were not crazy about the GTA?? They came with the Vette motors, not turbo.
          I have "had" a GTA...1992 L98...I know for a fact the 89' was a 3.8 Turbo.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
            The '89 TTA Anniversary Edition GTA came with the Grand National engine. It was an outstanding car for the time. I will add one to my collection at some point. It would probably still smoke most of the stock LT1 f-bodies. It was an incredibly fast car especially if you tweak the turbo on it

I don't understand what isn't cool about a turbo on an f-body (or anything) if it is done tastefully. The TTA, Grand National, and Callawy Corvettes were incredible cars! Shoot, I even liked the little Daytona Turbo Zs.
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
              The '89 TTA Anniversary Edition GTA came with the Grand National engine. It was an outstanding car for the time. I will add one to my collection at some point. It would probably still smoke most of the stock LT1 f-bodies. It was an incredibly fast car especially if you tweak the turbo on it

Yup. Love that 89 Indy Pace Car. A few tweaks like an adjustable wastegate rod, high octane fuel and a chip, the car rips high 12s. Start adding stuff and mid 11s are pretty easy. Heck, low 11s isn't that hard either. All without opening up the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Yup. Love that 89 Indy Pace Car. A few tweaks like an adjustable wastegate rod, high octane fuel and a chip, the car rips high 12s. Start adding stuff and mid 11s are pretty easy. Heck, low 11s isn't that hard either. All without opening up the motor.
                Darn Right!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

conclusion: we love turbos
                  1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                  "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm

Im realize there was a GTA that was turbo, but it was very limited. Most GTA's were of the V8/5.7 variant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan98T/A
                      Im realize there was a GTA that was turbo, but it was very limited. Most GTA's were of the V8/5.7 variant.
                      Here are the production numbers. There were 1550 production cars and 5 pre-production cars. It was the 20th Anniversary Special Edition. 13.5 car (stock) in the '80s...not too bad!

http://www.89tta.com/ttaspecs.htm#ProdFig

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                        Here are the production numbers. There were 1550 production cars and 5 pre-production cars. It was the 20th Anniversary Special Edition. 13.5 car (stock) in the '80s...not too bad!

http://www.89tta.com/ttaspecs.htm#ProdFig

As I said, very limited production car. Although it is being called a GTA here it was also named the Turbo Trans Am. But like I said, most GTA's were V8/5.7

Comment

I thought the Turbo Trans Am was the '80 to '81 301 (4.9L) and the GTA was the 3rd gen turbo 3.8.

Also, aren't all 3rd gens with the 5.7L technically vette motors? they share the same engine designation (L98) I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit_Bird
                            I thought the Turbo Trans Am was the '80 to '81 301 (4.9L) and the GTA was the 3rd gen turbo 3.8.

Also, aren't all 3rd gens with the 5.7L technically vette motors? they share the same engine designation (L98) I think.
                            just like the LT1 in the TA/Camaro was the same as the 'Vette, and the same about the LS1s.

By saying that, I mean that they are basically the same, but have a few differences that always make the 'Vette engine "better".

The L98 TPI engines in the 'Vettes had a few differences, the biggest being that the harness was kinda different (ECM was mounted in the engine bay, and was a different style), and the fuel rails were different. IIRC, the heads were a little hotter than the TA/Camaro ones, just to give the 'Vette a little more of an edge.
                            my car:
                            '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
                            check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Working...
                            X