How much lighter????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much lighter????

Anyone know how much lighter the LS1 is than the LT1??? And what can be done to the LT1 to add power and decrease weight at the same time????
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

I don't really know the exact digits but I do know the LS1 is lighter than the LT1. The LS1 is aluminum as the LT1 is cast iron.

What I always wondered, when the LS1 came out, is didn't GM know that aluminum tends to bend and extract during extreme temperatures? I've never owned an LS1 but to the people who do: did you ever have problems when it was REAL cold out or REAL hot outside with your LS1?
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I have heard that the LS1 has "piston slap" when it is really cold outside.
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Piston slap was also common with the LT1.

The original goal at GM was to reduce the engine weight by 60# with the LS1. I think they might have done a little better than that. I'd guess maybe 80# max.

You aren't going to be able to save weight in the LT1 engine. Most high performance parts will add weight, unless you do things like using titanium (very expensive) or a set of aluminum rods (not for "street" cars). Headers will weigh less than the cast iron exhaust manifolds. Possibly a lightweight crank (make it a 3.75" stroke, while you're at it ), replace the damper with the ATI aluminum piece.... but the power gain would not be significant with most of these.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
          I don't really know the exact digits but I do know the LS1 is lighter than the LT1. The LS1 is aluminum as the LT1 is cast iron.

What I always wondered, when the LS1 came out, is didn't GM know that aluminum tends to bend and extract during extreme temperatures? I've never owned an LS1 but to the people who do: did you ever have problems when it was REAL cold out or REAL hot outside with your LS1?
          the intake is aluminum!!!!!!!!!!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
          X