6 spd tranny question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 spd tranny question

I just asked a question on purepwr's last thread but didn't get an answer ( shouldn't have hijacked it lol). I plan on getting around 400-500 rwhp out of my car and have a 6 spd tranny. Can the 6 spd handle that power as a daily driver with a few hard shifts and drops every now and then. I do not plan to take my car to the track except once or twice to see how it does. I love my 6 spd and it was a big selling factor when i bought the car. Can it handle this much power and if not can i have it built to handle that power???

Thanks in advance
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

My tranny has lived fine with that kind of power. I have a SPEC stage 3 clutch. I actually miss shifted once back into 1st gear at about 80 mph with a 100 horse of nitrous flowing. I blew the clutch right out through the bellhousing - the tranny was fine. I bolted in a new clutch and bell and I havent ever had a problem. The T56 is strong. They put it in the Viper and the vette, so its gotta put up with some abuse right? I hear one of the weak links is the shift forks, but they can be upgraded.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
      The T56 is strong. They put it in the Viper and the vette, so its gotta put up with some abuse right?
      Actually, the ZR-1 came with the Z/F 6-Speed Transmission.
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

The T-56 in the Viper is stronger than the T-56 in the Vette/F-Body. If I remember right the shift forks are no longer an issue with the Viper-spec T-56
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Vettes have ZF units...Vipers and F-Bods have T-56s
          1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
            The T-56 in the Viper is stronger than the T-56 in the Vette/F-Body. If I remember right the shift forks are no longer an issue with the Viper-spec T-56
            Your right, the viper has upgraded shift forks, but guys upgrade from there too. There are other parts that are differnt too, but the unit is basicly the same. My point is that the T56 is pretty darn strong for a factory transmission. Is it bulletproof, no. Are there stronger out there? I wont argue that. Will it put up with 4-500 HP? Yes. Usually.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

A friend of mine pushed his stock t56 to 800flywheelHP before switching to a TH400. I ran about 750HP through mine before switching. Rich Krause, one of the moderators on CZ28.com pushed his to about 900HP on a blower+nitrous car. "Taner" on CZ28.com is running mid 9's with a T56.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X