'97 T/A vs. WS6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 T/A vs. WS6

OK, sorry for the newbie post, but I could use some help with the following HP questions. My '97 T/A is worth 285 HP. A WS6 is worth 305 HP. With my CAI and a LM exaust, how do I stack up?

Does the WS6 ram air perform the same as my CAI? What other differences are their between my T/A and a WS6? Thanks!!!
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

a normal TA with an intake and exhaust has everything that a WS6 does, performance wise. technically your TA should be a bit quicker because the WS6 intake is actually a little more restrictive than an aftermarket (say K&N) CAI, and the factory WS6 exhaust flows less than the loudmouth. If you go ahead and put a bigger airlid on there then there really shouldn't be any difference at all.

the WS6 does have other differences that dont relate to power though... suspension stuff, the hood, etc.

in the endt the ws6 will go slower... cause it's got that heavy chrome logo glued on the back. all that weight has to account for at least .3 in the 1/4 mile

Comment

Originally posted by briantech98
      technically your TA should be a bit quicker because the WS6 intake is actually a little more restrictive than an aftermarket (say K&N) CAI,
      Not true.

Comment

The Ram Air will shine at speeds over 60mph. The faster you go, the more cold air that is forced into the airbox and thus the engine. This is why they are rated at 20 horse more.

The airflow can be further improved on the Ram Air hood by removing or modifying the rain baffles.

A stock WS6 Ram Air will beat a stock non-WS6 TA.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Not true.
          Alright let me rephrase that. The stock WS6 ram-air doesn't work as well as aftermarket ram-air systems.

source: http://www.fasttoys.net/ramairsystem.html

Can I Install The FTRA On My Ram Factory Ram Air Equipped Car?
          YES!! The factory ram air systems are very inefficient and in no way sealed to the intake box. The system also contains numerous baffles and water drain holes. This means that there is no way that the factory system can ever achieve a ram air effect. At best, the hood may provide some cooler air to the motor

Comment

A non-WS6 T/A modified with a CAI should keep up with a WS6. BUT... then we are comparing a modified car to a stock one, and that is no good.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The parts that are not being factored into the equation are:

1. The size of the filter
              2. The size, length and flow of the intake tubing.
              3. Filter location
              4. IAT location

All I am saying is that I experimented with a SLP cold air intake. The best design out there. I removed the factory air intake and replaced it with the SLP and a 1LE elbow. The SLP still kept the low end power, but I felt the factory ram air was stronger in the upper rpms, especially as road speeds increase.

What that told me was that the SLP flows great, but there is something to the ram air. Now aftermarket ram air is another story. I still prefer to keep the air intake higher to keep it away from the road surface and standing water. My GN has a ram air intake just below the bumper. It's a Kenne Bell with a K&N filter. Want to hear something funny? The car runs quicker at the strip with all the ducting disconnected and just running an open K&N filter. Where the ram air shines is in sealing out the underhood heat that accumulates while street driving. There is a noticeable difference on the street with the ram air connected and the inlet under the bumper is functional. You should see the inlet temp difference with all these different configurations. On the street, ram air is the king whether it is factory or aftermarket.

I think the only restriction in the factory ram air is the inlet sizes of the hood. I use foam to seal the filter to the hood (except for the drain holes). Some of the guys seal those too. The filter and ducting flows great.

Comment

Even at speeds greater than 100 mph, the gains from a ram-air intake are minimal, like .25-.75 psi. It's more of a cold-air intake than a ram-air intake.

The biggest gain in the WS6 is the 3" catback exhaust and lower restriction muffler, when compared to the stock exhaust.

Comment

Here is some interesting reading.........

http://www.ws6.com/ramtest.htm

Comment

Originally posted by briantech98
                    Alright let me rephrase that. The stock WS6 ram-air doesn't work as well as aftermarket ram-air systems.

source: http://www.fasttoys.net/ramairsystem.html
                    fasttoys is full of it...... anyone can make stuff look better than something else.... they just want to pedal thier stuff.

the ws6 ram air package is more efficient than CAI, both at idle and highway speeds.

the Chief Engineer of SLP and I laughed at that eval.

and again...we are only talking micro seconds here...depending on speed....

one thing nobody mentioned was suspension... that makes a diff in attaining rapid speed. the ws6's is better than the stock TA...and again... only a few 1/10's of a second.

even a better driver can make all the diff.

dont split hairs..... do serious mods ....internal..if you want to be fast....and rear gears......

oh..and one last thing.. the 96-97 ram air from pontiac and slp engineering for the ws6 and firehawk is more efficient O.E. than the 98+

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                    X