Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow, need feedback please...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow, need feedback please...

Here's the deal. I have a flowmaster 80-series muffler and lately it has died on me. After only having it for about a year and a half, the baffle on the inside of it has broken causing this awful rattling noise. Now I already have a 3" mandrel bent intermediate pipe, 2.5" tail pipes, and dual 3" tips, so as you can see I'm not looking for a whole new entire cat-back system. I only want a muffler. Here is the problem. I loved the aggressive tone of the Flowmaster but I didn't like the idea of it flaking out on me after only a year and a half, especially when it only comes with a one year warranty. Thats where the Magnaflow comes in. The Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty, but the guy at the muffler shop said that it will be a little bit quieter than the flowmaster. I'm afraid to take my chances with the Magnaflow because I like loud, aggressive sounding exhausts, but I am tempted to because of the warranty. Also, the Magnaflow doesn't have any baffles or anything like that inside of it so wouldn't it flow a little better too? I'm confused and can't make up my mind. Anyone heard a Magnaflow compared to a Flowmaster before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated here.

BTW, I'm just curious. Why would the Magnaflow be quieter when it has no baffles on the inside as opposed to the flowmaster?

i personlay like flowmaster and it is definietely a lot louder then the magnaflow..i got the flowmaster on my v-6 firebirds and it makes it sound real good..i havent had an experience with a magnaflow but i have heard them before and if you want loud then go flowmaster..
    1998 v-6 Firebird, t-tops...
    mods: flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, 3.73 gears, cold air induction, whisper lid, ac delco rapidfire spark plugs- running with mobile 1 synthetic

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/506859

Comment

Have you heard Hooker? 1 of my buddies has Hooker and another has a Flow and I like the Hooker better. Both are not that far off from each other but the Hooker has a better all around tone and loudness. What about Spintech, it sounds good too?
      97 SS #C007
      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I like the way Spintech mufflers sound. Just my vote.

Comment

MY BROTHER HAS A MAGNAFLO ON HIS S/C SS AND IT SOUNDS NICE .ITS QUIET UNTIL HIGH RPMS.BUT I HEARD THEY FLOW BETTER. IM GONNA GET ONE SOON.

RIBBET RIBBET

Comment

I've got flowmaster on my 95 lt1. I love the way it sounds. I'm not sure about the difference between the two, but my car has had the flows for a little over two years with no problems. My cousin even has flows on his truck (over 3 years). I think you just had back luck with the muffler. I've never heard of this happening before. Stick with the flows man.
            '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

got the magaflow on mine...not as loud as a comparable TA with flowmasters...but to me it sounds better. Cleaner, more burbble and near dead silence when crusing on the highway...and sound gorgeous at WOT. My only complaint, I just wished it was 1-2db louder...other then that, it's a great system.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... I put the Magnaflow, cat back system on last weekend. It looks and sounds great! It's considerably louder than the stock exhaust. Everything else is stock on my car so, power wise, it's hard to tell 'seat of the pants' power changes. But the sound is great and I really enjoy the looks of the polished 3" tips.

The interior noise is not bad either. So, long rides on the highway should still be comfortable.

-Martin
                '94 TA. A4, MagnaFlow Catback, ZR1 Replica Wheels, Hawk Brake Pads (HPS), 58k miles.

Comment

Fact is flows sound great...but dont flow so well. They are great for V-6 cars because of the sound and the fact that 6's need backpressure. If loud is your main concern why not get a dynomax bullit muffler or get someones used loudmouth etc. magnaflow is good on flow and has built a reputation of being a good sounding muffler...its all in your preference.

Comment

Working...
                  X