NFB: I've read it before, but still think its funny...w/in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: I've read it before, but still think its funny...w/in

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's and 70's probably shouldn't have survived. Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.) As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors! We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. NO CELL PHONES!!!!! Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We went outside and found them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents? We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them. Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them! Congratulations! Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good!!!!! People under 30 are WIMPS!
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

I am under 30, and I strongly agree with everything I just read.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Well i must say that i agree with what you have said entirely. But I must point out that it is your generation that is running the country right now. Kids can not be blamed for how your generation has raised them. Just my two cents.
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

i can relate.....10000%

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

i am 23 , but my childhood was almost like you wrote, maybe because my country is 20-30 years behind the usa
          i remember about the go-carts, i rode them down a hill on a track in ta nearby forest. my feet were the brakes ... i miss those times

i have a cousin who is 12 years old and he likes only wathing tv and computer games, hadrdly ever goes out of the house. i cant do anything about it. i just cant understand it
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

This is right on!!

I'm 30, and grew up just as outlined above. We didnt even have health insurance, all we had was emergency coverage. We rarely played video games. I recall spending my days running around in the woods building tree forts. We went to the park, played in the sand box with toy trucks, rode our bikes to other parks to find more new friends. I'm going to make sure my kids have the same opportunities to be kids and play around. I'm not rushing anything because I want them to be young and innocent as long as possible. I think kids today are litteraly having their childhoods stolen from them as they are forced to grow up too fast. It is lazy parenting allowing them to be exposed to adult situations to early.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I remember those days...the long trips in the car fighting with my brother (what car seats and seat belts?)...we put down the seats in the station wagon and played, sitting in the back of the '69 Chevy truck on a warm summer night, fireworks on my sisters farm, the 2x4s with wheels nailed to a board with a seat and rope to steer, the many cuts and bruises taking that thing off of jumps down the hill on my parents property, the coolest stuff was Star Wars action figures, Stretch Armstrong, model rockets (as long as you don't catch fire to the house like my brother), demolition derby rip cord cars (which were too deemed too dangerous and pulled from the shelf in the 80s), tree houses, tunnels, snow caves, and playing ball with the guys. It was a lot of fun...to quote Lee Majors in an old movie "The Last Chase" ..."now all we have is a lot of rules!" Responsibility and common sense have given way to find a fast buck and liability is king. When you have to label a knife as "a sharp object that will cause injury" and "keep away from children", or if you dump hot coffee on yourself and you are awarded millions of dollars for doing it because it wasn't labeled "Hot", you know there is something wrong. Goodness, a guy ran his car through the window of my dad's school in the late 80s, he sued and won on the account that he should have had barricades in place...OK, he drove his car through the window into the lobby...what is wrong here? I don't know...my parents grew up during the great depression which was far more difficult then anything we can imagine today, my grandmother sewed potato sacks into clothes for my mom, but their lives were spent in cooperation with others building a life with limited means, defending this nation and the world, and carving out a future...seems like a much simpler time to me in comparison to today. My sister who grew up in the 50s had a very different life from mine...ranchland, working her tail off to buy her first horse, chores, hard work, horse races, car races, tailgates, and buying a first home on 5 acres of property for less then 30k. She now has about 200 acres of land worth 2+ million, and she never made more then 40k a year.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think I'll go home and paint my daughter's crib with lead paint so she doesn't grow up a wimp. I get the point though.
                '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Working...
                X