What does the "security" light mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the "security" light mean?

I don't have a owners manual with my car so I can't find out what it means. Thanks guyz.

Phil

i have the electronic owners manual for my 99. i got it a while back when some one posted a link to a site that had all 4 gen owners manuals.

99 T/A WS-6
    SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
    2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
    88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

Could mean a few things...

1. You need to clean your resistor chip in the key
      2. Your Security Module is failing
      3. Your Ignition cylinder is failing

Any of these could lead to you being stuck due to the fact that the car won't start because the PCM is not seeing the correct resistance from the key chip.

KnightFire
      1993 Formula Firebird
      Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

You can get an electronic version of the manual through a link at my site.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

If you have both sets of keys and the problem is consistant, you can rule out the key by switching sets.

When my 94 had this issue, it was the lock cylinder. Around 85k miles if I remember right.

Get it fixed soon cause it will eventually leave you stranded.

Sean
          1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

The "security" light left me stranded a few times.
            I had to bypass the VATS and solder a resistor that matched the resistor in my key to the wire under the dash. That fixed the whole thing. Just search for a link that says "bypass VATS" or something like that. I got the fix off the internet. From what the link said. One of the wires that tests the resistir pellet in your key when you stick it in the ignition has broken some where in your steering column. Since I am 6'2" and use the tilt to get in and out ,I figure that sounds about right. I must have warn the wire harness out. I think that is why my cruise control dosent work anymore.
            93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
            Moroso cia; more to
            come...hopefully!

Comment

Thanks guyz. I was thinking after the first response and wondered why it wasn't possible to solder a transistor that matches the key into the module. This confirms it for me. I will do it for sure. Thanks for all your help. Oh, I've got it easy. Used to be a Pontiac dealer and I've got the key code reader to find out which resistor I need. Thanks again guys....you're great. If anyone has a Fiero or any interest, check out pennocks fiero forum. Great group of guys there too.

Phil

Comment

Working...
              X