Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange "squealing" noise

Hello,

I've been getting this strange squealing type noise coming from the area around the alternator/serpentine belt. It constantly makes this noise. Another tidbit of info when I accelerate the noise gets amplified with more press of the gas. If I let off the gas it gets quieter again. What should I look for? Could a bad serpentine squeal louder upon acceleration?

Garon
    1994 Formula
    3.23's
    Moroso Cold Air Intake
    G2 High Flow MAF
    Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
    1LE Intake Elbow
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

Try some belt dressing, it that does not help... replace the belt.

Maybe your cat catcher picked up a squealer?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      Try some belt dressing, it that does not help... replace the belt.

Maybe your cat catcher picked up a squealer?

lol...that's very possible...it very well could be the laughing of the hyena that I picked up

Anyways I'll try some belt dressing good idea thanks!
      1994 Formula
      3.23's
      Moroso Cold Air Intake
      G2 High Flow MAF
      1LE Intake Elbow

Comment

personal opinion on my part but belt dressing sucks....not only does it goop up you pullies and belt but is not recomended for belts with teeth. The reality is there is something wrong. On a guess I might say its your belt tensioner pulley as that is a common problem. Don't just try and hide the problem get it fixed. You will be happy you did!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 2000 TA
          personal opinion on my part but belt dressing sucks....not only does it goop up you pullies and belt but is not recomended for belts with teeth. The reality is there is something wrong. On a guess I might say its your belt tensioner pulley as that is a common problem. Don't just try and hide the problem get it fixed. You will be happy you did!
          All true. The dressing sucks. Good point on the tensioner pulley too. I had to replace the one on my Blazer last summer at about 88K. I'd start by replacing the belt. If that doesnt cure the noise, get a stethascope and pinpoint the sound, then replace the noisy component.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys! I still have the stock tensioner pulley on their. Are there any other common symptoms of a failing tensioner pulley? Could the tensioner pulley cause a rough idle or anything? Is this the idle tensioner pulley that you are referring to? Thanks!
            1994 Formula
            3.23's
            Moroso Cold Air Intake
            G2 High Flow MAF
            1LE Intake Elbow

Comment

My alternator whines... I don't know why, I've checked the grounds everywhere, but it still does. Its loudest in cold weather and right after I crank up the car. Alot of the F-bodies around here have it to some degree...
              Are you sure its not your alternator?
              1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

belts

i had the same problem with my belts squealing a couple of months ago. i replaced my main serpentine and it still did it. i had to replace my ac belt which is a pain because i had to take off the serpentine belt to put the new one on. but that stoped the noise. belts were only like 35 for both. try that before changing out pulleys.

99 T/A WS-6
                SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
                2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
                88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

Working...
                X