Clutch goin south?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch goin south?

I have a 96 Camaro 3.8L with a 5spd... My clutch was replaced 30000 miles ago. Everything was fine, recently the clutch pedal kinda got really loose... Now every once and a while, there is some hesitation accelerating and the car seems to be losing some power in the higher RPMs... Does this sound like my clutch is taking a turn for the worst? I'm not gonna lie, I'm not the most conservative driver .

And if it is, how difficult is a clutch install on a V6? I'm confident I could handle it after reading through my Chilton's manual, but I just want some input...

Thanks guys
    1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

I personally don't have a manual (I do know how to drive one very well, though)...and I know that once the clutch is let go and you start to accelerate, the clutch has nothing to do with the transfer of power once it's disengaged. So your lack of power in the upper RPMs might be contributed to something else.

What do you mean the pedal is getting loose?

Your symptoms that you describe, lack of power in the higher RPM range, hesitation...sounds like you need a tune up if you haven't gotten one in a while.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

The tension in the pedal is gone. The only thing that can be felt in the pedal is a slight resistance once you actually get to the point where the clutch engages. And it has an awful vibrating feel to it.

And about the tune up; the engine is only 5 months old, 10000 miles on it. All plugs and wires were replaced when the engine was dropped in.

I thought a lack of torque could be associated with a clutch slipping? Am I wrong?

Comment

Hmmm...are there any noises when you work the clutch or when you have the clutch pedal down and you move the shifter? This is usually a good indicator of when your clutch is bad. If its just the pedal, did you change out the clutch master cylinder when you did the clutch? Not sure if the same applies to the T-5, but when I talked with SLP about my T-56 they said to replace the clutch master cylinder to save headaches down the road with the new clutch. Just something to think about.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

well

Actually LimTeng the clutch has everything to do with the transfer of power to the tranny/rear, it is THE link between the engine and tranny.

immgeorge it sounds like it is slipping. Watch the tachometer during the losses of power if it is rising and the car is not accelerating then it probably (99%) is the clutch.
          NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
          (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

yeah, the engine RPMs are increasing and the car isn't accelerating like it used to... I replaced one of the cylinders when the clutch was replaced, but I think it was the slave...

I don't hear any sounds when the clutch is depressed...

So about install, how much of a pain?

Comment

Yes I will have to agree that it is the clutch. The same thing will happen if you are hotrodding it for a long period of time ang get it very hot. Your rpm's will be soaring but you won't be going anywhere because the clutch is slipping.

As far as install goes it shouldn't be hard to take out the old one and put in the new one. You just have to have the right equipment to do the job (i.e. something to drop the tranny with because they are heavy... trust me i know lol). When my uncle and i replaced mine it took us all of thirty minutes.
              1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Do yourself a favor and and see if there's an updated version of your master cylinder. If there is, I would recommend getting it. Good luck.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                  When my uncle and i replaced mine it took us all of thirty minutes.
                  We need to hire you at the shop......I have never heard of such a thing. I've r&r'd many many trannys and I couldnt do one in 30 minutes to save my life.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

If you need a clutch , we are running a special on RAM clutches for all applications with free shipping right now . Your application would be $289.95 , this comes with an organic clutch disc , throwout bearing , alignment tool and pressure plate that has 40% more clamping power than the stocker . For more details , go to www.neweraperformanceparts.com , we are a supporting advertiser for www.f-body.com .

Mike
                    www.neweraperformanceparts.com
                    sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
                    Mike
                    sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
                    www.neweraperformanceparts.com

Comment

i don't think anybody with a v-6 is gonna want a ram clutch. those are racing clutches and it's kinda pointless to put a racing clutch in a v-6.i wouldn't spend almost $300 for a clutch for a v-6! advance auto parts is selling new clutch kits with the pressure plate and throwout bearing for LT1 v-8's for $199.95, i'm sure v-6 clutches are cheaper than that. you might be able to find a new clutch even cheaper on ebay

Comment

Working...
                      X