No announcement yet.

how much does a cowl hood really help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much does a cowl hood really help?

I am pondering getting a 4 inch cowl hood to compliment my new engine....but what good will it really do? is it all just cosmetic? apperently it creats a vacuum near the windshield and that draws more air into the air cleaner...is this true?
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

A cowl induction hood can give you cooler air which is better air (as you probably know). You have to make it functional though by making it so that the vacuum is created from your air cleaner. You can fab some sheet metal around your air cleaner assembly so that the air cleaner is blocked from sucking in hot air from the engine and can only suck in cooler air from the cowl area. If you just put on a cowl hood, though, it will allow for cooler air to enter the engine compartment. I hope this helps, but I can't explain things very well.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

As above............. if you can keep ONLY ram air into the throttle body and no engine heated air, You can expect 5 to 10 HP increase above 60nph or so.

Phil

Comment

Re: how much does a cowl hood really help?

Originally posted by seannz28
        I am pondering getting a 4 inch cowl hood to compliment my new engine....but what good will it really do? is it all just cosmetic? apperently it creats a vacuum near the windshield and that draws more air into the air cleaner...is this true?
        Actually, there is a high pressure zone near the intersection of the hood trailing edge and the windshiled - not a "vacuum". It's the increased "pressure" that helps push air into whatever is connected at that point.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X