NFB Iraqis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB Iraqis

It is always interesting over here, if you know what I mean.

Our C-130 was diverted to a place and the pilot skillfully blew a tire when we landed. I think he overshot the runway and did a panic stop. Those C-130s can stop quick. We didn't hear the tire blow out but we did smell the burning rubber.

We did enjoy the hospitality of the place, dinner was MREs on wooden benches and it got worse from there.

What I did want to tell you is that we had several hours of which we spent talking with the Iraqis that are working for the US Government in one form or another. One of the engineers on my team is a native Arabic speaker.

While drinking several cups of tea and smoking Turkish cigarettes, we talked about life under the Saddam regime, the fall of Baghdad, their lives today and what they hope for the future.

Life under Saddam was one of constant fear. You did not mention anything critical of the regime or you disappeared.

Most of the men I spoke with are "retired" army enlisted men. I pressed one to tell me what he did, but he was not forthcoming and said only he was in administration.

When the US forces approached Baghdad, their officers disappeared. The soldiers looked at each other and said good idea! They took off their uniforms and headed home.

They are all glad the the US came to get rid of Saddam. Things are getting better all the time, but there is still a major criminal problem. Since all the prisoners were released by Saddam, they are all running around forming gangs and terrorizing the populace. They have taken over banks and other key institutions. The people are afraid in their own homes.

We talked about US politics, all the men were unaminous, they want to vote for George Bush!

OK thats all for now, you know that I am purposely vague with place names.

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Re: NFB Iraqis

Originally posted by RangerBob

Our C-130 was diverted to a place and the pilot skillfully blew a tire when we landed. I think he overshot the runway and did a panic stop. Those C-130s can stop quick. We didn't hear the tire blow out but we did smell the burning rubber.

We did enjoy the hospitality of the place, dinner was MREs on wooden benches and it got worse from there.

What I did want to tell you is that we had several hours of which we spent talking with the Iraqis that are working for the US Government in one form or another. One of the engineers on my team is a native Arabic speaker.

While drinking several cups of tea and smoking Turkish cigarettes, we talked about life under the Saddam regime, the fall of Baghdad, their lives today and what they hope for the future.

Life under Saddam was one of constant fear. You did not mention anything critical of the regime or you disappeared.

Most of the men I spoke with are "retired" army enlisted men. I pressed one to tell me what he did, but he was not forthcoming and said only he was in administration.

When the US forces approached Baghdad, their officers disappeared. The soldiers looked at each other and said good idea! They took off their uniforms and headed home.

They are all glad the the US came to get rid of Saddam. Things are getting better all the time, but there is still a major criminal problem. Since all the prisoners were released by Saddam, they are all running around forming gangs and terrorizing the populace. They have taken over banks and other key institutions. The people are afraid in their own homes.

We talked about US politics, all the men were unaminous, they want to vote for George Bush!

OK thats all for now, you know that I am purposely vague with place names.

Bob

sont get sunburned..............

or worse.........

when you commin home anywho?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I'll be back home for a couple weeks in May. The wife hasn't even started the Bird, which is a mixed blessing. I know it needs a new convertible top. What's the best way to post a photo here? I have several interesting ones.

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Good to hear from ya Bob! Glad to hear you are ok.
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work Rangerbob! You guys rock it takes a lot to be a Ranger. I am Air Force Security Forces, going to sniper school April 18th, they say that school is really tough but Not nearly as the schools you have been through. Once again thanks, i wish i could be over there helping out.

1995 Trans Am, Flowmaster cat-back,WS6 rims and tires.K&N

Comment

Have Fun!

I only spent 6 months there with the 21st CSH in Balad. Most of my crew was there for about 11 months. I worked in the ER there and seen some things. Stay cool man and stay safe.
            Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

What's the best way to post a photo here? I have several interesting ones.

Bob
              I'll host them for a while. We only have 100 meg but I can keep them up for a few months. I'll send you a pm with my e-mail address.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Re: NFB Iraqis

Bob
                Once during a fit of madness, I traded 2 cans of peaches for a whole chicken in a can. It must have been old cause I got the runs from it - I used some cheese (in a can) & John Wayne crackers (in a can) to plug things back up. There was beans & weenies (in a can), spam (in a can), coffee, cigarettes also on the menu. We had these little heating tabs, but we ran out of them, and we had to cook with some little pieces of C-4. MREs don't sound too bad, but I have never tried them.

If you can't find a good way to post your pics, send them to me & I will put them on my web site & give you the addresses to post them using the IMG button. Take care. I wish you get back stateside in one piece, bro!

Comment

Working...
                X