Headers, y-pipe, and cat question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers, y-pipe, and cat question

I have decided that i want to go with a Corsa cat-back system for my car and want long tube headers but not sure what to go with them. There is no emissions requirements where i live so i don't have to be emissions legal. What will give me the most power? Should i not run cats? What diameter headers and y-pipe would give me the best gains?
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

I have PPC long tube headers, no catalytic converters, y-pipe, and Corsa cat-back. Living in an area where there are no emissions requirements is awesome for sure.

But... beware, this set-up will be EXTREMELY loud. The Corsa muffler will keep the tone tame at cruise, and below 2000 RPMs. However, when you give it gas, the sound will be thundering, and if you are directly behind the car at WOT, your ears will be in searing pain - and I wouldn't be surprised if you can damage your hearing.

The loudness achieved by this setup will be far greater than anything you could accomplish with a simple cat-back mod alone -- even the Loudmouth. Now... put headers and remove the cats in front of a Loudmouth, and you have another story
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Take a look at TPIS LT headers. I have read articles that they feel they are the best LT's for the LT1. Good ground clearence also. If I had no emmissions I would get them in a heart beat. BUT they are kinda expensive. I am pretty sure they are 1 3/4 primary with 3in collectors. I think a Corsa would sould great too. I love the Corsa tips. Cats or not is a judgement call but it will be LOUD. I got SLP shorties and cats with a Loudmouth and it is loud. But I love it!!
      97 SS #C007
      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

I've just put on my TPiS Longtubes.
        I welded in my own emissions fittings before having them coated here locally.
        The ground clearance is level with the oil pan.
        There's some pics of them in my webshots album for those interested.

http://community.webshots.com/user/2cub49
        97 Z28 Vert A4, TPiS Longtubes, Motive 3.73, Powerdyne 6 psi S/C w/ bypass valve, Mad Z28 PCM tune, MSD 6A, #30 SVO Injectors, custom Random dual cat y-pipe. Magnaflow, factory SS rear spoiler w RS skirt kit, Cragar Classic 5 spokes, Line lock, Transgo shift kit,Gearvendors .78 Overdrive for highway.

Comment

I used holly shortys headers and a y-pipe. took out my cat converter and still have my stock muffler. Then i put on 3 x 34 inch tips on. This sounds very good, but is not too loud, and i noticed a huge increase in power. i am now beating people who i could not beat before.

Comment

Working...
          X