cam duration and lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam duration and lift

Some of you may have read my post abomut a 383 project I am starting....so here is yet another question I have regarding choosing parts....

1. What do the numbers in duration and valve lift represent?

2. what kind of duration and lift would make a mild, medium, and hot cam

3. What does 64cc, 49cc, etc. etc. mean in reggards to heads?
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

1. Duration is the length of time (in degrees of crank rotation) that the valve is open. Lift is the height that the valve is open.

2. Ive never built a 383 stroker, so I dont know here.....maybe someone else can take this one....

3. cc's is the size of the combustion chamber in the head. The smaller the number, the smaller the chamber size, the higher the compression ratio is.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

This should sum it up:

http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/53439/

Comment

Sean I am assuming you are shopping for the right cam.

Assuming you are looking at hydraulic cams, one of the first things to be aware of is how the duration is listed. Camshaft duration can be listed by an "advertised duration" and a "duration at 0.050". Never ever go by the advertised duration as it is not an accurate representation of the actual duration. So make sure you are looking for a duration listed at a "@ 0.050".

In a 383 inch motor anything below 228 @ .050" duration would be fairly mild, 230-242 would be moderate, and anything over 244 is getting pretty wild.

Keep in mind that these durations are for a hydraulic cam.

How wild do you want to go?

Comment

Working...
        X