NFB: Has anyone taken the GRE test?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Has anyone taken the GRE test?

Well, it's exactly 1 year since I've graduated...and I still can't find a decent job related to my field (Computer Science) here in Silicon Valley. I do have a potential opportunity as an intern at Nvidia but I have to be enrolled in school. So....looks like I'm going back for a Masters in the Fall. It says in the requirements that I must take a GRE test then submit my scores to apply for grad school. Who here has taken it...if so, what should I expect? The requirement says I only need to take the general GRE (english & math), not the subject related test.

Thanks for any advice.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

SCHOOL IS EVIL!!!!! lol j/k
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I actually found the GRE to be much easier than I expected. Granted, I took it immediately following graduating, but it was far easier than the SAT...mostly because you were not penalized for guessing the wrong answer. Because of this, I felt much less pressure choosing an answer. SOmetimes, all you have is a feeling. On the SAT, guessing can kill your score. On the GRE, there's no harm. I scored a nearly perfect score on the math section because of this. You should do fine assuming you handled the SAT.
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

lol Steve....yea I really don't want to go back, but I'd better do it now before my brain turns into mush playing video games all the time.

Thanks for the info Al. I did merely OK on the SATs...I'm glad to hear you're not penalized for the wrong answer on the GRE. The math part isn't a worry for me...it's the vocabulary/reading crap lol. I've been taking a few practice tests, and many times, I just don't know the words!! Do you remember how the verbal section was?
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Re: NFB: Has anyone taken the GRE test?

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
          I do have a potential opportunity as an intern at Nvidia
          Hey if you get that intern job, can you get us a discount?

Do what ever you can to get your school done while you are young. It is way more difficult to get when you get older and have other responsibility. Good luck.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks Jeff...that's what I was thinking too. If I would go back to grad school in 10 years, I don't know how much I would actually remember from undergrad school!!

lol about the discounts at Nvidia...I am actually contracted at Nvidia for new hire computer setups. I talked directly to HR and they suggested this internship to me, and told me my current contract is really helpful in determining which interns they will choose. BTW, they have video cards laying around all over the place (in the IT department). My co-worker asked for one a few months ago (as a joke) and they said to take a Ti4600!! At the end of the day, he forgot to bring home the card! I know I wouldn't miss that one!

Comment

LOL. I've been eyeing a 5700 video card lately. The 5900 is just too expensive. I've got a Quadra 980 in my computer at work. It smokes. I've got a GeForce 3 Ti200 at home. I'd like to upgrade it and pass the old one on to my daughter. She has a TNT2 in hers. Uhg. I do heavy duty 3D CAD so I can use it. Of coarse Star Trek Armada would like it too.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wow, a TNT2...that were the greatest thing in 1999! I still have one in my other computer, and man is it slow. The first time it came out though....it screamed, didn't it? I'm stuck with the GeForce4 Ti4200, which I've overclocked heavily lol. I agree regarding the 5900. They are insanely expensive. They'll probably drop significantly by the end of the year. The 5700 is supposed to be decent, just stay away from the 5600 IMHO. But don't sweat, most people at Nvidia use crappy Geforce4 MX cards, so I guess we're still beyond them with our Ti's.

Comment

Working...
                X