wow that cant be right..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow that cant be right..

this afternoon i drove to the gas station to fill my tank up restarted the guage to see how many miles i can get off a full tank.
    it was very nice out so i took the t tops off went for a lil joyride around town and when i got home i looked at the guage, 11.2 miles on the trip and i used up nearly a quarter tank.
    is something wrong?? or is it just me
    before i filled her up i was almost on empty and i put in about 12 1/2 gallons

the last half of the gauge really only measures about a quarter of the tank. Notice how it stays on full for a real long time. I believe it is due to the shape of the tank.

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Due to the shape of our gas tanks and the orientation of the float, our gauges do not register linearly.

Yes, usually the last half is usually the quickest to go so it seems that TrAnS Am 98's situation is just the opposite. WEIRD to say the least.

Comment

oops I didn't read the post right......maybe the gas station ripped you off Seriously though I'm not sure......could you be leaking?

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

My 97 does the same thing. 20-40 miles and I'm showing nearly a quarter of a tank gone. But then, it uses quickly through out, think I may have a mechanical problem causing a rich condition. All of my other cars were the opposite. Long time on F, then it drops like a rock.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I usaully go about 60 miles before mine moves off the full mark.
            That would be weird for it to drop that quickly.

Randy
            99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
            93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

I maybe wrong, but aren't our gas tanks v-shaped inside? That explains when you take a sharp turn your needle goes to empty while you're on half or quarter tank full?
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Yeah, the 93-97 I know are. I think the 98+ maybe a little different.

That is why the needle drop so much faster after you reach 1/2 empty.

But he is saying it dropped at the beginning of a tank full of gas.

Randy
                99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Could it maybe be that he hot-rodded all around town????

Been there, done that, hehehe...
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

nooo i only opened it up on one road , the rest of the time i was taking a nice relaxing drive around the beach and sidestreets

Comment

Working...
                    X