painting fuel rail covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting fuel rail covers

i got a set of corvette fuel rail covers and i've plastic bonded in the corvette lettering, primed it and put two coats of gloss black on it already. its way rougher than i want at all, is it okay to just sand the black paint itself? or do i have to strip all the paint off with paint thinner, and then sand the plastic itself...

oh and also i bought a can of clear gloss paint too, should i use that on top of the gloss black or should i just leave the black by itself? i want it to be as shiny as possible.

You can sand paint. You might want to get a nice sandable primer and layer than on until it is smooth, then apply a finish coat and clear it.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yeah I would do what TZ mentioned. Lay down probably 5-7 coats of sandable primer. Lightly sand with something in the range of 1000-1200 grit. And then apply about 3-4 coats of the color, and then about 3-4 coats of clear. It really helps when you are spray painting to use the fan tips.

BTW your Ram Air hood came out looking good!

Comment

Working...
      X