Installing 6x9's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing 6x9's

Has anyone tried installing 6x9's in the hatch of a fourth gen. It looks like all you'd have to do is cut out the plastic that the crappy little speakers are mounted in and put in the 6x9.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

Re: Installing 6x9's

Originally posted by gimp19
    Has anyone tried installing 6x9's in the hatch of a fourth gen. It looks like all you'd have to do is cut out the plastic that the crappy little speakers are mounted in and put in the 6x9.
    The stock speakers are not mounted in the plastic. They bolt into the steel, and it would be a bit of work to get holes cut out for 6x9 speakers. But... it might be do-able.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Formula's have speakers in the door, by the rear seats and in the hatch. The ones by the seats are mounted in the body of the car but the ones in the hatch are mounted in plastic. I think Camaro's have a differant speaker setup.

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
      2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

You may have problems with clearance... The 6x9 will have a larger magnet & basket... thus, a larger mounting depth...

You probably wouldn't gain much from 6x9s in the rear anyway. A nice component set for the doors and some nice mid bass drivers for the rear seat locations, then you're set... If you want lower (or more) bass you'd need a sub.
        1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Being someone that used to sell high end car audio let me give you some advice. If you have the same speaker set up as i do
          (6.5" components up front, 6.75" crappy subs in the sail panels, and 4" components in the rear) and plan to upgrade the head unit to something aftermarket, I would not even put anything in those hatch speaker housings.

It will sound a lot better if you put 6.5" aftermarket components up front and some 6.6" coaxials in the sail panels, and added a small subwoofer. I say this because the speakers back there will be drowned out by the other two sets and will pretty much be worthless. Now if you plan on keeping the stock head unit and replacing speakers (you can't replace speakers in the monsoon system with aftermarket if thats what you have) i would just put the same size ones in there because 4" components put out some nice highs and are a far more superior speaker than a 6x9.

I have installed $5000+ systems in f-bodies and have a lot of experience in designing systems. But this is just my 2 cents
          1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Can some one please explain what the differance between component and coaxial speakers is? Witch type are these and would they work in my doors? http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...qp=0&oid=87380

Thanks

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Those speakers are coaxial. A coaxial speaker will have a 6.5" driver with a small 1.5" tweeter mounted on top of it like you see in the picture of the speaker in your link. A component set will have the woofer and tweeter seperated (a small speaker and a larger driver) and will also come with a small box which is called a crossover. The crossover seperates the "highs" and "midbass" from the audio signal thus giving you a very crisp very clear sound. It sends the "highs" to the tweeter and the "midbass" to the 6.5" driver. A crossover is usually mounted out of sight behind a a door panel or sail panel. In the monsoon system and almost all factory "premium" systems the crossovers are built into the amp. A good component speaker and crossovers can run you anywhere from $150 - $1300 just for a set of two.
              1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

ws6drbob

Since you know what your talking about when it comes to electronics, I hear it's diffucult to put in an aftermarket cd player because of the amp and what not. Can I do it myself or do I have to pay the buck to get it done professionally. Thanks

1995 T/A, flowmaster cat-back, k&n, WS6 rims, 6-speed

Comment

Hey DrBOB, what do you think about Audiobahn as for components?
                  1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                  "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

As far as having the monsoon system goes you if you want to install a new head unit you will have to disable the factory amp which is tricky so i would have a pro do it. You should look into upgrading the factory speakers too because they were made for the monsoon system and will sound like crap on an aftermarket head unit.

As far as Audiobahn goes i couldn't tell you because i have never had any hands on experience with their products. The company i worked for flew me to tampa once every 6 months to demo and test new products so i could tell you the brands that i know are good and reliable. JL Audio has the best subs and amps but their components are not up to par. Kenwood has great multimedia systems (pop-out tv's). Alpine has good head units and one great multimedia piece (the IVAD-900). Kicker has some good subs but i only like the L7 Solo-barics. Eclipse makes good multimedia equipment and the BEST sounding head units as far as clarity and crispness goes. As far as components go I would only buy Boston or Mb-Quarts.

But hey.... you don't have to take my word for it
                    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

^^^^^ good advice

My last Z28 had an Eclipse head, Boston door components, a JL sub in a stealth box and a Soundstream 5 shannel amp bridged to 3 channels. It rocked.

I have the amp from that car in my curent car, running off a factory Bose head running some components in the doors. A sub is in the works.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                      X