Ram Air - Air Box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air - Air Box

I'm soon going to replace the stock hood with a ram air one. I'm looking into buying an air box / filter for it. I know that SLP sells the whole package for it.

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...TNUMBER=100008

On LS1.com somebody is selling new OEM air boxes for less money but I don't think all the little nitty gritty pieces like in the SLP package are included.

My question is, do I need all the stuff that SLP supplies? What is that MAF harness for? is it an extension for relocating the MAF, or would the existing wire be long enough?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Rene
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

I dont know about SLP's, but when I ordered my WS6 + ram air kit from www.ramairhood.com, it came with everything needed. the airbox replaces that big plastic contraption thingy that the stock airbox has and just bolts straight up to the MAF with a hose. all the wire reached fine and everything bolted straight on with no modifications to anything.

only problem was getting the IAT sensor out of the stock airlid, you really gotta lube it up and jiggle it around to get it out.

here found a picture for you, this is what it looks like with an SLP Airlid + the ram airbox... the lid just mates directly up to the MAF.

Comment

Thanks for the info Brian.

Mine looks a little different being a 97.

Rene
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

LT-1s and LS1s are completely different. In order to change over to a ram air setup on an LT-1, the maf ends up in a different spot than factory. The factory harness should reach, but may will be stretched tight.

Comment

I have the SLP kit. Looking at the picture on their website, you obviously need the top and bottom of the box, and the four bolts with plastic knobs that hold the 1/2's together. You could live without the two screws that hold it to the radiator cover (buy your own), the wire ties (buy your own, or don't even use), and the 3 strips of weather stripping you need for the seal (buy your own). You need a filter, but the paper one that comes with the kit is just a basic paper filter, so I subsituted a K&N, which is more than $50. You can also (actually "should") replace the rubber bellows with the Fernco 3x3 sewer connector pipe for $5 from Home Depot. If you are still running your AIR pump, you need the squiggly hose to connect it to the airbox, but you could just buy a piece of heater hose. Don't know about the need for the MAF extension, since I don't run one.

And as pointed out by Joe, the LS1 airboxes have absolutely no similarity to the LT1 boxes.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for your input guys.

Will send the seller on LS1.com the pages from the parts catalog and ask him to let me know which pieces are included of the air box assembly. Based on that I'll decide to go with his or SLP.

Rene

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
            X