1063 reasons not to run out of gas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1063 reasons not to run out of gas!

Remember when I ran the T/A dry the other day? Yeah, don't do that. Burned out the fuel pump and it's amazingly hard to get to. So $1,063 later (including the tow), the T/A should be ready just in time for the 4th. No steak for me, I'll be eating Costco hamburgers this year.

So, thanks for all your guys advice. Turns out many on this board and others were right, the fuel pump burned out when it didn't have the gas going through it to cool it off. While they're in there, they're going to replace the filter too. Cha ching $$$.

$1000!!! Somebody needs to make a "Highway Robbery" song. Granted, it's no easy task, but still not impossible even with simple tools and some tall jack stands. I would never pay anybody $1000 to do anything to my car unless the bill said "pull motor, rebuild as a 383 stroker full forged, reinstall motor". Ouch!
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

yeah

I'll have to agree with mn6
      thats crazy $1000 I try to do everything to my car my self (mainly cause I have no job and nothing to do at this moment but thats beyond the point) I spent 470 redueing my clutch system:
      clutch pad, clutch slave (2 on accident didn't know master cylinder came with a clutch slave), master cylinder, new rear shocks, surfacing flywheel,and a new throw out bearing, and a boot for inbetween the clutch slave and the throw out bearing. I did it all my self and it works fine minus me now oweing my dad $470 but it would have cost twice as much as that if I got someone else to do it. BUT!!! I believe u have to drop your gas tank to get to the fuel pump which is alittle hard if you don't have the equipment and the time I bet.
      88 z28 Cam 305 V8 TBI
      79 z28 Cam 350 (still in the works)
      88 i-roc Z28 Cam 350 Tpi
      Keith

Comment

Bummer dude

I replied about the fuel pump before mainly because the same thing happened to me once when I 1st got my T/A in 1999 while traveling in it. Fortunately the vehicle was still under warranty so I had the fuel pump replaced for free. Sorry about your luck man.
        Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

I know I'm not perfect, it's happened to me once or twice...you know when your mind is really wrapped up on somethign else or you're stressed out.

Best recomendation I have is to get a AAA membership! I pay $80/year for the deluxo deal....they'll pay to get your car opened when the keys are locked in, have someone come out and put a gallon or 2 in your tank if you've run out, or tow me up to 400 miles to the repair shop of my choice. Not to mention other discounts and travel info. Heck, I have a AAA credit card that saves me 5% on all my gas purchases too.

Anyway, don't mean to turn this into an advertisement, but if you have a back up you won't worry about burning out your pump to get to that station a mile or 2 away. Just pull over to someplace safe and shut it down and you'll be fine.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

How Low?

How low do you have to be to burn the fuel pump? isnt it true that as long as the motor will get fuel to run there is liquid going thru the pump?

I have run mine on the "check gauges" light which comes on when fuel is low i wonder if i am doing damage?
            bruce
            Bruce
            01 Camaro

Comment

holy crap...you're in the same boat as me...sorta

that's way too steep dude...when my GTA had to get a new pump (pump is inside the tank)...it was 800 with two new tires. 680 if I'm not wrong. You should look else where broh...

It's not hard to do...if you don't mind smelling like gas for a few days, you should be able to do it yourself for the better part of the day. After looking at what the guy did (horrible job I might add)...I could have done it myself.

But, if you are in need for someone to do it for ya, 1 grand is too much...I'm facing the same problem with my TA (being charged too much)...read my threads. I told them not to touch my car and want to see everything in detail..not to mention periodic check up while she's in service.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Re: How Low?

Originally posted by 01Y87
                How low do you have to be to burn the fuel pump? isnt it true that as long as the motor will get fuel to run there is liquid going thru the pump?

I have run mine on the "check gauges" light which comes on when fuel is low i wonder if i am doing damage?
                bruce
                No damage if you get to the "Check Gauges" light...you still have 1.5-2 gallons left. But if you ran it dry...that's damage. The only problem that you might have from running so low (I do it sometimes) is that you might pick up some debris from the bottom of the tank...but seeing that your car is a 01', I don't think you'll have a problem like that...you also have a strainer and filter to stop that though.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

WOW !!! That is expensive,,,,,,

I learned long ago that the fuel needle on our cars is not linear,you have a full tank for 200 miles,half a tank for 50 miles,then it's empty.

Have gotten into the habit of treating my 1/4 line as the Empty line.

Haven't had any problems since.
                  94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeLord
                    WOW !!! That is expensive,,,,,,

Have gotten into the habit of treating my 1/4 line as the Empty line.
                    Absolutely! after 1/4, you can actually watch it move.

Comment

hehe.. I learned very early just how long i can go. I was driving home from a long trip and i was in a remote part of Texas (nnothin' but Angus beef as far as i can see LOL) and running low - honestly i was afraid i'd be walking soon. and the car had 7,000 miles on it then. Well, the light came on and i ended up driving it about 14 miles more to the station.

so from then on I use that as my gauge - i would not intentionally go past 14 miles again. But I have done 5 - 10 on a couple occasions.

bruce
                      Bruce
                      01 Camaro

Comment

hehe.. I learned very early just how long i can go. I was driving home from a long trip and i was in a remote part of Texas (nnothin' but Angus beef as far as i can see LOL) and running low - honestly i was afraid i'd be walking soon.
                        Hah! I did the same thing on my way up to New Orleans about a month ago. I was on the Baskin bridge (like 10 miles if not more) and this was before I was use to the gas gauge. I was fine until it hit the 1/4 tank mark, then I noticed it dipping down really fast. I didn't think I was going to make it, but I lucked out.

Aaron
                        '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Working...
                        X