increasing compression...how & why

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increasing compression...how & why

i have 95 camaro 3.4 if i wanna increase the compression how do i go about doing that?? why would i WANT to do it? why WOULDNT i wanna do it?

9.5:1 why not???? too expensive with very little gains?

preferably 10:1 not harmful to engine???? not decresing engine life? doing it myself would be cost worthly? would the pcm need reprograming?

10.5:1 a bit harsh? less engine life? not for daily driver?

what do i need to make the change?

i cant sell it without takign a big loss, so i rather mod it out plz help.... im thinking a 10:1 ratio would make it run right along side of a stock 3.8.....

with some bolt ons its another story. i realy would like to mod the engine

Comment

If your gonna pull the heads to raise compression, you should do some port work. Youre gonna get your biggest gains here. The raising compression may help, but dont expect it to be a big noticeable gain. 10:1 is usually safe on pump gas.

I would look into other bolt ons - headers, exhaust, cold air intake, pulleys, reprogramming, maybe some nitrous?
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

You can increase compression ratio by milling the heads, or by replacing the pistons. A "point" (9.5->10.5:1) of compression might gain you 2 to 3% of the HP (less than 10HP on a 200HP V6). The cost would be substantial, since you would need to remove both heads and have them milled, possibly alter the face angels of the intake manifold to compensate for the reduced head height, and totally check the valve train geometry to insure you didn't put the valves too close to the pistons or throw off the contact point between the pushrods and the rocker arms.

Replacing the pistons requires a complete engine teardown, and generally will involve a complete "freshening up" of the engine.

You will then be faced with tuning issues, since the increased CR will require the use of premium fuel at all times, and may require a reprogramming of the ignition timing maps. Otherwise you may face excessive knock (detonation) which will cause the computer to reduce the performance and may eventually lead to damage to the engine.

As a stand alone "power adder" it makes very little sense, unless done in conjunction with a major engine overhaul that might include increasing the bore and the stroke for larger displacement.

There are V6's running in the 12's. You need to do the same things you would do to a V8... cold air intake, headers and catback exhaust, a hotter cam and ported heads, and some sort of power adder.... either nitrous or a super charger.

For quick power, a 60HP nitrous kit would probably be the quickest and least costly way to improve perfromance, since there are not a lot of other performance parts available for the V6.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

the problem is i live in the middle east, different problems in this area, for example labor cost much less engine teardown is the least expense, now parts is were it is close to impossible to locate, i canot port the heads no one here would know how, i cannot get a preported its too expensive there as it is and shipping would cost a fortune... exhaust headers etc are too expensive to ship here.... i might have a trip to canada very soon and was thinking maybe i can get longer pistons with me, anything i can carry or minimum weight i can get with me, i think headers is out of the question very sadly.... longer pistons i can definatly get with me problem is even if i got to canada were do i locate them? anything else u think i can bring with me with no problem?

now u see my problem with imposibility to get or find parts here, maybe u can help me find a 3.73 diff on some stock GM vehicle that i can locate at salvage yards.... what is the diff in most cherokees? were do i find such info?

Comment

.. get some water injection ..
            1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
            "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Working...
            X