Generic DTC 1441....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic DTC 1441....

Finally got my code reader in the mail and checked out my SES light. The reaer only reads generic codes, it's giving a 1441, Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction. Can anyone be more specific than this? That's kinda vague. The car needs to be inspected by the end of april, and if it's got an emissions problem, I want to get it corrected as soon as possible.

For a little more info on my SES light, driveability and power do not seem affected at all, except when it the engine is cold, the exhaust "pops". It sounds like little backfires coming from the exaust when it's warming up, every 10-15 seconds I hear one. When it's warm, I don't notice it. Other than that, the car runs fine and seems to have all it's power. Oh yeah, only mods are a K&N filter and flowmaster cat-back. 97 WS6, A4.

Thanks!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

I believe that is the code that can be thrown if your gas cap leaks pressure, usually because of just not getting it on tight enough. I would clear the code (pull the PCM fuse if the scanner can't clear 'em) and make sure you gas cap is tight...see if the code comes back.

Flash - '97 Black WS/6, Intercooled Powerdyne 11# , LTCC Coil Per Cylinder Ignition, OPTI High Voltage Deleted, 160, Short Stick, BMR-STB, adjustable Shocks, PP+ w/scan, !CAGS, Flowmaster 3" cat-back... 43k miles as of Aug. 2006

**-** BOOST, it's no replacement for displacement, and there's definitely no replacement for having both!

Comment

I believe there's an in-canister purge solenoid that is activated by the computer when the engine's warmed up. Maybe that's burned out.

I don't believe this will cause you to fail emissions tests, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Before I got the code reader, I had pulled the PCM IGN fuse to clear the codes, but when I restarted the car the light was still on. The code reader cleared the code, so once the rain stops I'll have to take it for a spin and see if it comes back.
        Dave M

Comment

Bookmark this:

Shoebox's Code List

P1441 = Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) system flow during non-purge

There is a flow detector in the line that comes from the carbon canister, and wraps around the front of the engine. The flow detector is mounted just before the EEC canister purge valve.... there is a "blow up" diagram on Shoebox's website that shows each component.

The flow detector is detecting a flow in the purge line when there isn't supposed to be a flow. That would mean either the EEC purge solenoid was stuck open, or the flow detector is faulty. Pull the line off that runs from the flow detector to the purge solenoid. Feel the connection on the purge solenoid. There should be no vacuum present at idle. If there is, the solenoid stuck open. If there isn't, the flow detector might be deffective.

This seems to be a very common problem on the OBD-II cars, and I've posted this repsonse several times, but I don't recall anyone following up with info on whether it worked or not.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The diagram from Rob's pages:

The flow detector is item #11, the purge solenoid is #7. The hose you want to remove is #14
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, thanks for the info, great stuff!

Is this something that could cause the car to fail an emissions test if I don't fix it before I get it inspected? Could this casue poor gas mileage? Mt fuel mileage seems to be bad even for my driving style.
              Dave M

Comment

Depends.... in many state, as in NJ, for the OBD-II cars they simply hook up their computer to your ALDL connector. If the SES light is not on, and there are no codes in the PCM, you pass.... no dyno test required. If you have an SES or a code, you fail.

If they do only rolling/dyno emissions, I doubt it would cause you to fail. But if its related to a leaking gas cap, they often check the cap, and fail you if it won't hold the required pressure.
                Fred

Comment

Fred, in PA they do the rolling dyno and a gas cap pressure test.
                  Dave M

Comment

There is also a valve that sits on top of the gas tank. I was smelling fumes on the outside of the car and it turned out to be this valve. They said they would have to drop the gas tank in order to replace it. Won't be cheap, so I'm living with it.

I've heard that you can cover up the SES light with a picture, and the techs are not permitted to remove it when they are doing the test. They can't fail you for it if they can't see it, and the rolling dyno/gas cap test won't spot your problem.

Comment

i think..............your car has Herpes........................

my oh my...............

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X