ws6 exhaust question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ws6 exhaust question

I was thinking about getting a 3" cat-back exhaust for my firebird ws-6. Does anyone know if the ws-6 exhaust is already a 3" high performance exhaust system or not? I was wondering if it would be worth saving the money and just buying a rear section for some added sound and performance.

There was an article not too long ago in GM High Tech performance that compared a stock LS1 WS6 exhaust to an expensive aftermarket one (SLP I think). It made almost no more power with the aftermarket system, and was very close to dyno results with no exhaust at all.

I don't know the specs on the exhaust, but as far as flow goes, I think it flows about as well as it can. Replacing it would be doing so for sound, not for power.

Comment

The stock WS6 exhaust is "higher" flow than the base T/A - but it is still only a 2.5" pipe from the cat to the muffler.

Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

The LT1 WS6 exhaust is identical to any other LT1 F-Body exhaust. Only the tips were different. So its 2.75".

LS1 WS6 cars got 3" exhaust.
        Rob
        04 GTO

Comment

LS1 WS6 is not 3" - 2.5 or 2.75 - but I know the Corsa I put on was bigger and it was 3"
          Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

A reading from the Gospel according to . . .

. . . Sports Car International, April/May 1998 issue, pages 60-64 (article by Scott Dahlquist):

"The $3100 WS-6 Ram Air option pumps some of the horsepower loss back in, the 5.7-liter with multi-port fuel injection breathing better through cool air intakes and a less restrictive exhaust system featuring 3.5-inch diameter pipes."

The '98 WS-6 has a single tailpipe coming from the muffler. Later WS-6s had smaller diameter pipes, but dual tailpipes, the 99s producing the same rated horsepower as the '98s ('00-'02 models produced slightly higher hp through more efficient intakes.

If I am not mistaken, though, all the LS-1 'Birds had flattened pipes for at least part of their length (just as all have an annoying -- well, for the passenger, anyway -- "hump" on the passenger-side floorpan).

Perhaps more-knowledgeable members of the group can provide more accurate information.
            R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Considering your T/A is a '97, thus an LT1, yes it is worth several horses to put a good aftermarket cat-back. Don't forget to look up www.ws6.com for his performance gains. The Borla cat-back netted a 10.4 hp improvement at the wheels over the stock WS6 exhaust. I noticed a gain too, when I got the Borla system, but am not sure exactly how much hp. The Loudmouth and 2OTL are also great systems for the LT1.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Thanks Guys, I think the overall conclusion would be for me to just buy an exhaust!

Comment

Working...
                X