rear ends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear ends

do z28's and ss's in lt1's have different rear ends??

-ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

I was hoping we were going to talk about rearends of the female persuasion.

bummer.

But... I believe one of the SLP options on a SS was a beefier rear end. I'm not sure if that was just the carrier and gears, or the entire housing.

Make note... beefy rearends on women are not a good thing... Just so we dont get confused!!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I thought all rearends where the same, but the gearing was different for some, like autos and 6-speeds were different gearing.
      my car:
      '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
      check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

No the SS did not get a beefier rear end. They got better suspension than the Z but not a stronger rear axle. If that were the case you would see peolpe swapping there weak 7.5 inch differentials for SS differntials. But all f-body rear ends suck and they dont like horsepower.

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
        Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

The SS and firehawk had an option for the auburn (or maybe it was torsion? It's been too may years since I was into the hobby..) diferential. I'm not sure what makes it different (stonger, gear ratio, etc), but they did have an option for a different rear. Maybe Ken can jelp us out with the differences...
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            The SS and firehawk had an option for the auburn (or maybe it was torsion? It's been too may years since I was into the hobby..) diferential. I'm not sure what makes it different (stonger, gear ratio, etc), but they did have an option for a different rear. Maybe Ken can jelp us out with the differences...
            That is what I remember also.. Auburn rings a bell!!

Ken?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

There was an SLP option for all 4th gen f-body's to receive a Auburn differntial.

The OEM Zexel-Torsen differential had a few weaknesses such as the clutches and the side gears (spider gears).

So SLP released the optional upgraded Auburn which had stronger, quicker enagaging clutches, stronger beveled side gears, and a better ability to transfer more power to the tire getting the most traction.

This makes the Auburn a little better on the street but not much better for drag racing purposes as it is still a 7.5 ring gear and 28 spline axle and side gear setup.

Comment

Working...
              X