Ram Air Hoods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air Hoods

I'm building new RAM air hoods for Z28's and need some opinions.

This hood has a NACA type duct that feeds into the airbox. It's a pin-on and weighs about 10lbs. My car seems to pull harder above 65. I'll get some timeslips to see if it works.

I'm making a few more hoods that have a raised scoop feeding into the airbox. I'll start making bolt-ons if I can create a nice looking design that adds power.

These hoods work with OEM equipment as well as pin in?

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Just to keep things in perspective, "ram air" effect can be calculated from "velocity head". It can be demonstrated that at 100MPH, the maximum possible ram air gain is about 1%, or 3HP on a stock engine. At 65MPH, that gain drops to about 1HP.

Additional gains are possible due to the air being colder than air pulled from under the hood, or close to the hot asphalt.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You're right. I'm hoping that the cooler air helps with power. I think that direct flow describes it better.

Comment

I like the look, but I feel that most people would want a slightly heavier design that wasn't a simple pin on. That's great for racers, but not the greatest for street.

Comment

I prefer the direct approach too.....

Would definitely like to find a 10# pin-on version of the Ram Air hood.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Injuneer, I like that. It looks like it seals tight. Have you seen an increase in performance?

Comment

Working...
              X