Help! LT1 Oil Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! LT1 Oil Leak

I have been plagued with an oil leak on my freshly rebuilt motor. It was there before I started and has not changed. I am getting a leak from what appears to be the front crank seal. I have replaced the seal twice installed a seal saver bushing on my old crank hub and now replaced the hub with a new one. I am starting to believe there is a crack in the timing cover that I just have not seen. Anyone with suggestions please reply I have alot of money invested in this motor and car and it is very disturbing to have this leak

The front crank seal requires a hub to be within spec, the seal to be in good shape and some lubrication. The problem is that there are two other seals above the crank seal and the timing cover has it's own gasket as well. There have been times where the optispark or water pump drive seals are leaking, the trail runs down unseen portions of the engine to drip out from around the front crank seal. Whenever the opti/water pump is R&R'd, I recomment a full timing cover seal freshening. Since all the stuff is out, what better time to replace all of them. Once I didn't and the job had to be done twice. That taught me the lesson.

A crack is possible..... you could completly clean the area and put an ultraviolet dye into the oil, it will show up under UV light and pinpoint the leak. Usually you can find it without the stuff if you can see in all crevaces.

Comment

I have resealed the entire unit twice once before i did the motor work and again after i completely rebuilt the motor. I will probably have to take the time with the dye sounds like the only option to find out for sure thanks

Comment

Working...
      X