NFB: Radio Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Radio Control

I know I have seen a couple of profiles in here where people listed RC as a hobby but for the life of me, I can't remember who they are. I'm thinking about buying an RC helicopter but I have never dealt with anyone else online except http://www.towerhobbies.com/ and they don't have what I'm thinking about getting. Anybody have any recommendations of places to buy from. I'm looking at the Hirobo Shuttle Sceadu evolution.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Wow, I thought I was the only one who reads towerhobbies. I've been getting their issues since I was 11! I've bought a couple kits off them. I heard helicopters are really hard to fly. There's an RC airplane field about 2 miles from my house. It's huge! I'm gonna take some pics when it gets really nice out.
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

My R/C fleet
      2 - Ikarus Piccolo micro electric heli's(fixed pitch)
      1 - FlyingStyro F16 electric ducted fan
      1 - FlyingStyro TA-7C electric ducted fanI(still in box)
      1 - FlyingStyro P51 electric(still in box)
      1 - Electric Jet Factory A10(still in box)
      2 - Vectron electric flying saucers
      1 - .25 Piper Cub with floats
      2 - .60 SeaBird's
      1 - .60 HogBibe(biplane)
      1 - .25 Extra 300
      1 - .25 Stirdy Birdy trainer

Drop me an email.....large Heli's(gas or electric) are alot of fun. The only down side is....when you crash. Yes, you will crash. Plan on forking out $200+.
      John
      97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
      02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
      99 Bravada

Comment

http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~sivann/p...ydemo_2004.wmv

everyone has to d/l that video. Coolest thing ever. I am still amazed when I see it

BTW, its Alan Szabo jr (who is a famous RC Heli pilot, I guess) doing some absolutely CRAZY moves with a RC Heli.
        my car:
        '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
        check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Forbidden
          You don't have permission to access /~sivann/pub/Uploaded/alan_vegasfunflydemo_2004.wmv on this server.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Yo, rc helis rock the house!

I've been flying RC planes since I was 11, and helis for the past 3 years or so.

Are you dead set on the One you mentioned? If not, I would reccommend a Thunder Tiger Raptor V2. It is an AWESOME beginner heli. Upgradeable so when you get better you can swap and change anything, but out of the box it can do pretty much anything..

Tundrahog mentioned $200 a crash which is not true with this heli. Mine's had it's fair share of crashes and never had one cost more than $60.

It's an awesome heli and hobby. Getting in to it plan to realistically fork up about $900-$1400 for good parts. Can stay on the low end of the scale if you get some used components - radio, charger, starter, etc. I'd say buy the heli new and the engine - though a used engine from a good source is fine. And if it's offered in a kit, or prebuilt get the kit. You want to build it at least once so you know how to fix it. EDIT - I wouldn't reccommend towerhobbies. You can get cheaper elsewhere. Check prices at www.rcheli.com and www.helihobby.com first.. There may be cheaper too - I haven't looked since summer. Or if you want to spend a few extra bucks and support your local hobby store. They may be able to throw in some instruction if you buy from them. If not, find someone near you who can chek it out and help you with the pre-flight and first flights.

They are not too difficult if you think about what you're doing, and know exactly what stick does what. Just take your time. Try a sim on your PC first if ya want. Look up FMS simulator on google - it's free.

Ok, any more questions just ask.

I leave you with pics of my two favorite in the fleet, and a video of me spinnin my Raptor around

99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
              Wow, I thought I was the only one who reads towerhobbies. I've been getting their issues since I was 11! I've bought a couple kits off them. I heard helicopters are really hard to fly. There's an RC airplane field about 2 miles from my house. It's huge! I'm gonna take some pics when it gets really nice out.
              I had a heli guy tell it to me like this, "With a heli, you can learn to crawl before you walk." I have seen several people build a plane and try to fly it and crash it on their first time out. They gave up and sold everything. With a plane, you have to be doing like 50 mph to get airborne. Things happen so fast at 50 you don't have time to learn how to fly before you've crashed. With a heli, you learn to hover first. You put 2 sticks with balls on the end in an X shape on the landing gear when you are learning. If you start getting into trouble in a hover, you kill the throttle and it settles back down. You wipe the sweat off your braw and try it again. I never really learned to fly an airplane until I got a 2 meter sail plane. Landings came easier too because you had to. LOL I got to where I could fly it over my head and get it to stall and catch it.

I got my 3 minutes of fame flying one day. I was flying near the expressway when a reporter saw my plane. She tracked me down and did a story on it. I got my picture in the paper too.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                Yo, rc helis rock the house!

I've been flying RC planes since I was 11, and helis for the past 3 years or so.

Are you dead set on the One you mentioned? If not, I would reccommend a Thunder Tiger Raptor V2. It is an AWESOME beginner heli. Upgradeable so when you get better you can swap and change anything, but out of the box it can do pretty much anything..

Tundrahog mentioned $200 a crash which is not true with this heli. Mine's had it's fair share of crashes and never had one cost more than $60.

It's an awesome heli and hobby. Getting in to it plan to realistically fork up about $900-$1400 for good parts. Can stay on the low end of the scale if you get some used components - radio, charger, starter, etc. I'd say buy the heli new and the engine - though a used engine from a good source is fine. And if it's offered in a kit, or prebuilt get the kit. You want to build it at least once so you know how to fix it. EDIT - I wouldn't reccommend towerhobbies. You can get cheaper elsewhere. Check prices at www.rcheli.com and www.helihobby.com first.. There may be cheaper too - I haven't looked since summer. Or if you want to spend a few extra bucks and support your local hobby store. They may be able to throw in some instruction if you buy from them. If not, find someone near you who can chek it out and help you with the pre-flight and first flights.

They are not too difficult if you think about what you're doing, and know exactly what stick does what. Just take your time. Try a sim on your PC first if ya want. Look up FMS simulator on google - it's free.
                No I'm not really set on anything. I'll definitely check it out.

Yea I know how expensive it is. That is why I dropped out of the sport before. Where do you get your stuff from? Specifically the heli?

Oh and nice Piper Cub!

Comment

I found this site.
                  http://www.heliguy.com/nexus/raptor.html
                  http://www.heliguy.com/nexus/raptorvsnexus.html
                  I wish I could fins one for the shuttle sceadu. I realize they all will have a rap sheet on them like this. I don't want something I am going to have problems with. I just figured since the shuttle has been around so long and the sceadu is an upgraded shuttle, they would just have the bugs worked out of it. Horobo has been around a long time. I know they know what they are doing. Nothing is out of the question. Ease of getting replacement parts is important to. Which makes me think about the Kyosho Caliber because of Tower Hobbies.

Comment

Don't even consider the Nexus.. I'm telling ya, Raptor is pretty much the best way to go to start out.

You see the vid I posted? That is with a stock raptor and .32 OS engine. It's a very good performer out of the box.

The Nexus sucks pretty much plain and simple. It's the honda of the Heli world!

As far as the sceadu, I could be wrong but I think it's more expensive.

Check the forums at www.runryder.com - lots of knowledge there.
                    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                      Don't even consider the Nexus.. I'm telling ya, Raptor is pretty much the best way to go to start out.

You see the vid I posted? That is with a stock raptor and .32 OS engine. It's a very good performer out of the box.

The Nexus sucks pretty much plain and simple. It's the honda of the Heli world!

As far as the sceadu, I could be wrong but I think it's more expensive.

Check the forums at www.runryder.com - lots of knowledge there.
                      Yea the Nexus isn't really a consideration.

I have read several things on the Sceadu this morning and they have all been glowing.

The Sceadu is about $50 more than the Raptor. I am still leaning to the Sceadu if anything because I know it will be around for a while since it is replacing the Shuttle.

Lots of stuff on that forum. Remind me of here.

Where do you buy RC stuff from?

Comment

Working...
                      X