Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 t/a in trouble

hi
    i have changed the fuel pump, spark plugs and the oil, but the enginre turns and just doesnt start

i checked for pulse at the injectors with a test light and spark at a 3 plugs and its ok

how long until the fuel pressure drops ? i have fuel pressure, but it doesnt hold. will the car start with a faulty injector? it was leaking very bad and i blocked the fuel to it with some plastic. when i pressurize the system, of the injectors leak.

i think that it should at least start even with a bad injector

so, i have spark, pulse to the injectors , new spark plugs, new fuel pump the starter is ok, battery ok, engine turns but wont start

i m all out of ideeas, please help
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

What about the regulator? It is possible that you will see pressure but will drop off quickly if the regulator is bad....it would simply dump the fuel back in the return line...or in the vacuum line if the diaphram is ruptured..

The fuel pressure should hold over a few to several hours. If you see a drop to 0 within seconds or even minutes, there is something majorly wrong. If it drops from say 40 to 20 in 2 hours, it isn't too bad, but the system is capable of holding better pressure.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

There is info contained in these two threads......

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...&threadid=4562

and

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ight=Optispark

Comment

*update*

hi
        thanks for the tips

i am going out of my mind!!!!!
        i have checked foor everything and the car wont start

today i checked the fuel pressure with a gauge: ~43.5 psi with keey on, engine of coourse off and then it drops to ~36-39 and stays there. its ok isnt it? when i crank the engine the gauge jumps around a bit ant then stays at ~43 psi. with the return line shut of, pressure goes to ~58 psi
        injectors dont leak when system is pressurized
        i lifted the fuel rail and the injectors work fine while cranking the engine
        i took out 4 spark plugs and they were dry (they are new). where does the fuel go?
        checked injector pulse for all injectors: ok, injectors spray fuel while cranking

all i can think of is this:
        1. timing chain (but i can see the valves moving through the oil fill hole while cranking). is it possible that the timing isn good and the engine turn over fine? and the injectors spray fuel on a closed or partially closed intake valve?
        2. someone has mixed up the connectors to the injectors? how can i find out on a 93 wich connector goes where?
        3. i am just stupid and cant find out what the problem is

i ll go crazy, i m working on this car since july last year. it just stopped while i was at a stop light. no funny noise, no ses
        93 t/a A4 3.23s
        95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
        93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

I'm running out of ideas too. Although you see fuel out the injectors, to really eliminate the fuel system would be to get a new regulator. I don't know if you'd be willing to spend the money to get a new one in order to diagnose the problem, but IMHO, it might be worth it. When I saw the fuel pressure drop from 40 to 0 psi in 2 seconds, the T/A would run a bit rough. However, after a few more start-ups, it wouldn't catch anymore...just keep cranking, like what you're experiencing. It doesn't make sense either because the fuel pressure was the exact same thing before and after...yet it just wouldn't start anymore. Also, when it was cranking, I saw a steady 43 psi of pressure in the system, so it did have pressure....but didn't catch. That's why I can only suggest you replace the part ...instead of testing and tearing out your brain thinking of everything. On my T/A, once the injectors and regulator were replaced, the it had new life (i.e. she breaks loose on the downshift to 1st lol). I guess it might be worth the replacement, but if it isn't the problem, you just lost the money of the cost of a new one. Good luck.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Step 1. Connect a spark plug tester to a spark plug wire and
            check for spark while an assistant is cranking the engine.
            Check each plug independantly. this checks for open
            spark plug wires. Spark in one or more than one wire
            indicates the problem is in spark plug wires or optispark.
            If no spark exists, go to step 2.

Step 2. Check for spark at the coil wire with the spark tester
            while cranking the engine. A spark indicates the problem
            is in the distributer (optispark). If no spark go to step 3.

Step3. Perform check on ignition coil.
            a: Unplug coil electrical connector and check pink wire for
            12v. If power go to b.
            b. using ohmeter low scale, hook up the leads to the
            primary terminals on the ignition coil. Should indicate
            very low resistance. If not, replace coil.
            c. Using the high scale, hook up one lead to the primary
            terminal, the other to the secondary terminal. Should
            not read infinite resistance. If it does, replace coil.

Step 4. Disconnect the ignition module connector and with the
            key on, check voltage at terminals A and D on the harness
            side of the connector. (pink/black and white/black wires)
            If under 10 volts check for faulty circuit from the ignition
            module to the coil or check for grounded external coil
            circuit. If 10 volts or more, change the voltmeter to a/c
            scale and measure voltage on terminal B while engine is
            cranking. (white wire). If 0 volts, Have ECM checked. If 1-
            4 volts, with the key off, disconnect the module
            connector. Install a LED type test light on the positive
            battery terminal and probe terminal C on the harness side
            of the connector (black wire). The light should illuminate.
            If not, check ground wire in the harness to the module. If
            the test light is on, go to step 5.

Step 5. Remove the coil wire from the coil and ground it to the
            frame. Connect LED test light into the optispark harness
            connector red wire terminal C. The harness connector that
            you will use is located on the passenger side of the
            engine up near the fuel rail. You will need to insert a back
            probe pin into terminal C. If the test light flashes when an
            assistant cranks the engine, the optispark is suspect. If
            no flashes, replace the ignition module.

If the above tests results are correct and there is still no
            start, it is tough to to tell the difference between a
            faulty module or optispark. Module = Cheap$$, optispark
            =moderate $$$.
            how about these diagnostics? specifically:

Step 4. Disconnect the ignition module connector and with the
            key on, check voltage at terminals A and D on the harness
            side of the connector. (pink/black and white/black wires)
            If under 10 volts check for faulty circuit from the ignition
            module to the coil or check for grounded external coil
            circuit. If 10 volts or more, change the voltmeter to a/c
            scale and measure voltage on terminal B while engine is
            cranking. (white wire). If 0 volts, Have ECM checked.

Comment

Craig , im glad your car is running ok now. i ll do what you said, but i ll have to wait until i get the fpr and the injectors. Kevin is helping me out with this. what a nice guy

Joe 1320, i checked for spar with a spark plug, i dont have a spark plug tester. i ll do this at all spark plugs as soon as i can. is it ok with a spark plug? also i want too see if the spark is at approximately the same time as tthe same cylinder injector pulse. it should be almost simultaneously ,no?
              i ve ruled out the distributor, cause spark goes to the plugs i checked so far- is that ok?
              the wires to the coil are checked ok, only the coils resistance is ~10.000 instead of ~7.000 ohms accordin to the repair manual. i am thinking that its ok
              step 4 ok.

i really need help on this one

thanks
              93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

I may be stating the obvious, and if I am, feel free to flame.....but have you done a compression test? Testing compression in each cylinder will give you valuable information.

And if you have compression, spark, and fuel, I would look into a possible ECM or ignition module problem becasue these crucial elements are not being timed correctly.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

i will do a cmpression test as soon as i get a gauge
                  is there any other way to find out if cylinders dont do enough compression?
                  93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

You could do a leak down test on each cylinder, but its more of a PITA and you still have to by the tester......so, no - just get a compression tester - its a good tool to have anyways.
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

if the engine just died while at idle and then started again, is it possible that i have compression problems?
                      what happens if 1 cylinder has low compression?
                      93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                        I may be stating the obvious, and if I am, feel free to flame.....but have you done a compression test? Testing compression in each cylinder will give you valuable information.

And if you have compression, spark, and fuel, I would look into a possible ECM or ignition module problem becasue these crucial elements are not being timed correctly.
                        A compression test is a good idea. If the timing chain were to have jumped a tooth, you would get a no start........ not sure if there would be interferance with the valves on an LT1, but have seen it on other motors where you seem to get spark and fuel and still a no start condition. I've also broken a crank clean in half where the starter would engage and spin the back half of the motor perfectly, leaving the front half motionless.

Comment

I think the LT1 is a freewheeling engine, so smacking the valves is not an issue, but if the chain jumped - a compression test would tell you. If the valves arent opening and closing correctly, your not gonna have good compression and potentially a no start. It would seem odd that the chain would jump just sitting at a light though. But.....I have seen stranger things

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            A compression test is a good idea. If the timing chain were to have jumped a tooth, you would get a no start........ not sure if there would be interferance with the valves on an LT1, but have seen it on other motors where you seem to get spark and fuel and still a no start condition. I've also broken a crank clean in half where the starter would engage and spin the back half of the motor perfectly, leaving the front half motionless.
                            i think the crank is ok cause the front balancer is turning

the chain jumping a tooth, wont make some noise?
                            at the throttle body the engine draws a lot of air while cranking. i ve noticed that by accident as there was a plastic bag i forgot to take off blocking the throttle body intake, so i guess the intake valves are ok
                            93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                              I think the LT1 is a freewheeling engine, so smacking the valves is not an issue, but if the chain jumped - a compression test would tell you. If the valves arent opening and closing correctly, your not gonna have good compression and potentially a no start. It would seem odd that the chain would jump just sitting at a light though. But.....I have seen stranger things
                              is there any other way to check that?

after it stopped, it started again after a lot of tryes
                              93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Working...
                              X