Odometer question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer question

Ok, this is just a question, I'm not saying I'm going to do this or condoning the use of it, but I have been told tha there is a fuse you can pull on a fourth gen camaro, that will cut off the odometer and speedometer, but still allow use of the tach. Is this true, or is someone pulling my leg?

Yes it is absolutely true, but it also happens to be the fuse to most of the power accesories as well. But that could easily be corrected.

My guess is that GM engineered the fuse block that way to discourage people from doing this.

Just remember odometer fraud is taken very seriously.

Comment

well, does anyone know which fuse it is? because my buddy tried it and has taken out a few fuses and now he cant get his odometer to working, we put them all back in, but dont know if it is burnt out or what, could something have been shorted out by trying this?

Comment

Originally posted by whitelightnin
        well, does anyone know which fuse it is? because my buddy tried it and has taken out a few fuses and now he cant get his odometer to working, we put them all back in, but dont know if it is burnt out or what, could something have been shorted out by trying this?
        lol, dude you have to admit it does sound kinda suspicious that you ask this question SECOND instead of asking it first now it just looks like you wanna find out which fuse it is and try it yourself
        93 camaro Z28, A4 auto
        http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503401

"he who hesitates is lost."

Comment

Sounds like a fishing expedition.

There is not a fuse that does specifically what you were asking.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Just disconnect the speed sensor on the trans. That should do what you want it to do. But if you are going to do what we think you might try to do, I hope you get caught.

Remember this...
            -Lets say you save 10,000 miles on the odometer by doing this. That will make your car worth about $1,000 more when you sell it. That may sound like alot but....

-Now lets say you get caught. Everytime you bring your car to the inspection station, or anyother DMV place, they record your mileage. If there is ever a discrepency, your car will have a bad title. A car with a bad title is worth about half as much as a car with a good title.

To me, its not even worth the extra grand. But if you are just curious for your friend, like you say, then of this applies to you.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
              Just disconnect the speed sensor on the trans. That should do what you want it to do. But if you are going to do what we think you might try to do, I hope you get caught.
              Wont that screw up shifting if it is an auto?? and the cruise control will stop working too.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

It will definitly mess up the Cruise, but I think shifting is handled throught the engine RPM. Not the speed of the car. I had a speed sensor on my Ford Taurus go. The speedo/odometer stopped working but the car drove fine untill I got it fixed.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

not only that...but I think you won't be able to get into Overdrive for automatics...I know my old 3.1 speedo stopped working and it didn't go into overdrive...it was a pain.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I heard about this too. If you pull the fuse out, the car will randomly die on you because it's not registering the odometer. This is what I heard.
                    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Remember this...
                      -Lets say you save 10,000 miles on the odometer by doing this. That will make your car worth about $1,000 more when you sell it. That may sound like alot but....

-Now lets say you get caught. Everytime you bring your car to the inspection station, or anyother DMV place, they record your mileage. If there is ever a discrepency, your car will have a bad title. A car with a bad title is worth about half as much as a car with a good title.

To me, its not even worth the extra grand. But if you are just curious for your friend, like you say, then of this applies to you.
                      Ok, thanks for the info, I know it sounds like BS, but after reading this my buddy, has decided to leave it all alone.

Comment

It will definitly mess up the Cruise, but I think shifting is handled throught the engine RPM. Not the speed of the car. I had a speed sensor on my Ford Taurus go. The speedo/odometer stopped working but the car drove fine untill I got it fixed.
                        Our auto shift tables are %TPS vs. MPH, so you need the VSS for shifting.
                        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Damn Ford/Chevy differences. I was wrong again. But however you do it, its not worth it.
                          No F-Body right now

Comment

I know several f-body owners who have pulled this fuse and it absolutely does not cause any conflict with the engine managment portion of the PCM. It is the fuse that the power mirrors are on.

Anyway, they would pull the fuse only half the time.....like pull the fuse going to work and put it back in when you are going home. That way they never had any discrepancies but racked up only half the miles.

Those guys were crazy, and I would never do this because I don't neccasarily agree with the ethics of it,

but to each his own I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X