Hmm, Long Tubes on a 305?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, Long Tubes on a 305?

OK, sometime soon I plan on buying and installing headers on my car (305 T.B.I.). There are a good number of companies that sell shorty headers and y-pipes for my car and a few that sell full length headers. Is was just wondering if full length ( or long tubes, whatever you want to call'em) headers would be too much/too big for my 305? My car probably has somewhere close to 200 HP, on a good day . The general consensus is yes, they would be too much, but what do you guys think?
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Re: Hmm, Long Tubes on a 305?

Originally posted by Benm109
    OK, sometime soon I plan on buying and installing headers on my car (305 T.B.I.). There are a good number of companies that sell shorty headers and y-pipes for my car and a few that sell full length headers. Is was just wondering if full length ( or long tubes, whatever you want to call'em) headers would be too much/too big for my 305? My car probably has somewhere close to 200 HP, on a good day . The general consensus is yes, they would be too much, but what do you guys think?

in a way i am looking at the same problem with my SS, i have a Monte Carlo SS with a 305 in it .... i think i am going to go with full length headers... but whatever is going to fit nicely and fit my budget is what im going to get... but i do wonder if theres any difference in full length or "shorty" headers

Comment

Here's how it works out; if you want the most power out of your ride then go full header, HOWEVER..... you will sacrifice ground clearance (like there is any anyways) for it. Street driving will kill them. Instead, go with SLP's Tri-Y headers, they are sweeeeet (and stainless). I wish that I could claim to have those but I went with Hedman Shortys (for a very minor loss in power, compared) and those work very well too. Edelbrock's TES works well too. You didn't mention whether you had to keep it emission legal (A.I.R. & Oxy sensor) but that is what I assumed in making the suggestions.

Comment

No, I don't have to keep it emissions legal, the cat was removed by the previous owner and I am going to get rid of AIR pretty soon (all it does is get in the way). I am going to keep the O2 sensor (the car won't run without it, I'm pretty sure).

CarDomain Site

Comment

Then I guess the only question is how much ground clearance (or lack of) you can live with.

Comment

Oh, by the way...... make sure you get the 1 5/8" primaries, not the 1 3/4". It actually helps the smaller displacement blocks pump out the exhaust smoothly. 1 3/4" is for 350 up.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
              X