Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmision fluid type

Good morning everyone,
    I due for a transmision fluid change on my wife 2002 hyundai santa fe. No one stock the filter except the dealer when I spoke with him he said not to use mercon/dextron 3 only use sp3 fluid that cost $6.00 a quart.
    can anyone confirm this or is it b.s.?

Thank's
    Brian
    2 firebirds are better the 1.

That is a crock of caca, he prolly just wants you to buy from him only. The SP-III indicator is Hyundai's standard for transmission fluid just like Dextron II & III is GM's standard. Most tranny fluids should meet or exceed these but always read the label. If you are looking for quality stuff, use Amsoil or Royal Purple. They definately exceed ALL standards, will prolong the life of your Tranny (and other components you use it in), and you can get it for less than $6 a quart!

Comment

I am not too sure about Hyundai, but in many other vehicles (chrysler, mitsu, etc...) you NEED to use the recommended fluid. I know that in some new Chryslers you can actually set an MIL because it will trip a code for clutch volume indexes or something along those lines....I am not saying this is true on a Hyundai, but I would research it thoroughly or pay the 6 bucks.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I spoke with jeff at a transmission shop and he said I could use mercon/dectron 3 if I used a additive called lubegurd($10-15 a 10 oz. bottle).
        I just when over to autozone and was reading all the transmission oil bottles (mercon/dectron3, f-type and atf-3). The atf-3 said for chysler, mitsu and hyundia. for $2.50 a quart.

Thank's
        Brian
        2 firebirds are better the 1.

Comment

Lubeguard is awesome stuff! They make an additive to keep your tranny working cool and smoothm -which is well worth the money, but they ALSO make another type of an additive that can be added to regular DEX/MERC to convert it to the ATF-3.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
          X