What to do with engine plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with engine plans?

Hey guys, I have a 1970 Formula 400 Firebird. I got it about 1 1/2 years ago from some guy in N. Hollywood. When I got it, it had a really cheap 350 already in it, the 350 only cost around $1700, and the guy said it was because when he got the car, the 400 was wasted so he just dropped in a cheap 350. Anyways, the 350 finally blew out on me and I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I'm either getting the 350 in it now fully rebuilt to make around 350 hp and the same amount of torque. Or I was thinking, since it is a formula 400...I could find a place that sells rebuilt or remanufactured 400's for my car?

My question is what do you think the best deal is? I dont know how much a 400 would cost but do you know what the hp and tq specs would be for it? And if i got the 350 rebuilt to make around 350 hp and 350 lbs torque would that be able to pull harder than if I got a 400 put into it or not even close?

Any suggestions are welcome...thanks guys.

-Daniel-

If it were me, I would REALLY be looking into stuffing a LS1 or LS6 in there. You would get all the reliability and convienance of modern engineering the HP that goes with it.

But, thats just me.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by KnightFire
      If it were me, I would REALLY be looking into stuffing a LS1 or LS6 in there. You would get all the reliability and convienance of modern engineering the HP that goes with it.

But, thats just me.

KnightFire
      I was thinking the same thing. If you could find a totalled LS1 car as a doner it would be a nice project. I was watching something on TV last weekend about the trend of people putting late model engines in early body cars. They were featuring at 67 Camaro somebody had done that too. I think it was Dream Car Garage. I meet a guy who did this to a 66 Mustang fastback and he loved it. He drove it every day. He even did the rack and pinion. Said it drove like a brand new car.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I completely agree with Knightfire. Stuffing a late model Gen III smallblock in there makes a lot of sense. You get the driveability of it, the pretty much endless HP possibilities (with exception to budget), and the reliability. Throw a turbo or blower on an LS1, expecially with all the room in a 2nd gen F-Body engine bay, and suddenly you're sitting pretty.

Of course, you can't knock a good old fashioned big block either!!
        Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I think you should do whatever fits your budget the best. If you have a good bit of money to spare, I would say get an LS1. If you don't have too much money to spare, I would say find a 400. If your on a tight budget, rebuild the 350. I would personally try and find a 400, those engines are getting harder to come by and would probably give you all the power you want!!
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

If you are in a buget look at Pace parts at www.paceparts.com They will have a small block short or long block depending on what you need for $2K or a bit more for the long block. Check out there deals. A new LS6 will put you back at least $6K. If its all you need is a good budget small block they should have what you need.
            '95 Formula A4, 17"x9" wheels, F1 275/40-ZR17, TB bypass, 160 deg. TS, LS1 drive shaft, WS6 muffler, LCA, tie rod Soon to be LT4 heads intake and HOT cam.

Comment

Re: What to do with engine plans?

Originally posted by 70formula400
              Hey guys, I have a 1970 Formula 400 Firebird. I got it about 1 1/2 years ago from some guy in N. Hollywood. When I got it, it had a really cheap 350 already in it, the 350 only cost around $1700, and the guy said it was because when he got the car, the 400 was wasted so he just dropped in a cheap 350. Anyways, the 350 finally blew out on me and I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I'm either getting the 350 in it now fully rebuilt to make around 350 hp and the same amount of torque. Or I was thinking, since it is a formula 400...I could find a place that sells rebuilt or remanufactured 400's for my car?

My question is what do you think the best deal is? I dont know how much a 400 would cost but do you know what the hp and tq specs would be for it? And if i got the 350 rebuilt to make around 350 hp and 350 lbs torque would that be able to pull harder than if I got a 400 put into it or not even close?

Any suggestions are welcome...thanks guys.

-Daniel-
              Well, I am probably one of the few Pontiac loyalists on this board. I am going to say find correct year 400. The basic 400 in 1970 made 350 bhp. THats STOCK. Thats the engine I have in my GTO. Lots of torque.

Believe it or not, I had the same situation when I went to restore my GTO - some idiot put a Pontiac 350 in place of the original 400. WHat the heck is a GTO without a 400? So, I got really lucky - there is an old bone yard that was about 30 min form my house and it had tons of old muscle cars - (this is going back 10 years.) I found the correct year 400 with the matching TH400 tranny and they charged me 100 bucks!!!

Now im not saying you will be able to find a rebuildable 400 for 100 bucks, (this isnt a chevy motor) but there are enough out there that are relatively cheap. I would spend a few more bucks finding the right engine and you could probably swap many of the performace parts from the 350 over - intake, carb, headers etc...all the same. You will START with 350 HP. THe one advice I will give you is do some research on-line about head codes. You can get a pontiac 400 with the wrong heads and it will be a dog. You want to be looking for 13's, 16's, 48's, 62's......and a few more. Check it out.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I too am gonna side with the 400. They are getting harder to find but a lot easier then a 455 is to find. Check out www.transamcountry.com its a site for second gen birds. A good group of guys just like here and often time someones has exactly what you need sitting in their garage. By the way... where are the pics!

Comment

Sorry, I had grand visions of a LS1 in it. That would be cool though.

I guess you have to make 2 decisions, what is the use of the vehicle and what is the budget.

Finding a matching number 400 Pontiac block to put in it is going to make it worth more. If you're going to build a motor even to stock specs, You might as well spend a couple hundred more and get the correct block.

Cool site Craig.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

What about building a fuel injected Pontiac 400? You could use an Accell Gen 7 or FAST controller. Probably would end up costing a bundle but sure would have the "cool factor".

Comment

I have to vote for a Pontiac 400 as well. That is going to add more value to the car in the long run. If you're after speed, a 455 drops right in place as they all share the same block configuration. Then you could make it look stock, yet be a torque monster.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions guys...but I think I'm gonna stick with rebuilding the 350 or a better option if I can, find a 400 to put into it. I'm 18 years old, so I don't know a whole lot about this stuff...still learning, but I'm trying to find a 400. Anyone have suggestions? Are there places that sell rebuilt or remanufactured 400s? Or would I need to find one being sold by an individual party? Also, money is a factor...seeing as how I'm 18, I dont have a really high paying job. But I've been saving up for awhile so the 400 or rebuilt 350 shouldn't be a problem.

Here is one picture of my car the first day I got it. It looks a lot better now, I Just compounded the whole thing and waxed it a few days ago, it looks really really nice, like brand new. I'll get more pics of it soon.
                        Attached Files

Comment

http://www.buysell.com/bestoffer/vie...sp?id=26614628

Comment

Ebay is always good:

Heres a cheap short block:
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

This one would be perfect, but its more $$: (real sweet one)

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                            X