Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Submerged my Rent-a-car!!!.... LONG(But worth it)... Need help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submerged my Rent-a-car!!!.... LONG(But worth it)... Need help.

I am sure I am going to get flamed for this, and I know I deserve it, but I need some advise. Are you ready for this?

My wednesday started off like any other day. Went to work in the morning, left work @ 5, came home, did some house chores, called some friends, went out at about 8pm. Now this is where the night went bad. While at the local diner, my cell phone decided to stop working. Later, me an two of my friends decide it would be a good idea to take my rent-a-car out on some trails in the woods and for a little while before I return it this weekend. We were driving through trails for about a half a hour and the car was doing really good. THEN...... I was driving up a hill and going too fast. I got to the top of a hill and saw what was over the top..... WATER!!!! And lots of it!! I was going too fast to stop... We went right into the water. The car stalled in the middle of it and came to a stop. As the water began to fill the car, I jumped out a window and pulled my two friends out of the car and carried them to the outside of the pond. At that point I remembered... I DIDNT GET THE EXTRA INSURANCE!!! I only had liability coverage and now that the car had water 1 foot above the bottom of the doors, I realized that I just bought the car. Unfortunately, we were located about 2-3 miles from any paved road and my cell phone had stopped working earlier that night. Luckily one of the girls that I was with pulled out her phone and it worked. We called the police and tried to tell them were we were and the situation that we were in. During the conversation, her battery died. Now.. We had no car, no phone, and no way to get back. Keep in mind its about 1:30am at this point. All I can think about is the car that is slowly sinking lower into the water. I walk back into the water to try to get the car out. I managed to push it about 15 feet towards the edge of the water, but then one of the wheels sank, and I was unable to push it any more. I reached into the car and pulled out as much stuff as I could. I came out of the water soaked up to my chest. Then the cold started getting to me. I WAS FREEZING!! I began to worry about how we were going to make it through the night. We then proceeded to build a fire to stay warm and hopefully so someone could find us easier. We were there for a long time. I had a hard time finding dry wood because it has been raining for the past week. Finally a State Trooper finds us at about 6AM!!!! We then proceed home. I called work and told them what happened and that I wasnt coming in today. Called a few other people and told them what had happened. At about 10:30am, I called the tow company that pulled the car out of the water. They had the car at there shop, but they didnt have the keys, so they couldnt tell me the extent of the dammage. I brought the keys there and tried to start the car... And of course....It didnt start. It sounds like the starter turns about 1/2 a turn and then cant turn anymore. While turning the key, the gauges bounce all around. Most of the electronics in the car work fine. Lights, radio, warning buzzer, etc.

I am thinking that the engine is siezed and that the cars computer is fried.

That was my fun Wednesday night.

Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Sorry about what happened to you, man.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Thats funny, You Play, You Pay.

Good luck

Comment

I've heard of giving a rental a little more abuse than your own, but thats ridiculous. All I can say is that I guess your screwed. Not much your gonna be able to do, unless you can talk your insurance company into paying for the damage. Other than that, get ready to shell out some dough......
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

1) drain the oil

2) remove the spark plugs and make sure they are clean

3) turn the motor by hand a few revolutions to allow any water in the cylinders to get out the plug holes

4) fill with new oil

5) reinstall spark plugs

6) charge the battery

7) make sure the filter and intake ducting are clear of water

8) try to start it. If the cylinders were wet inside, it might take a bit of trying. You might want to dry them out with compressed air. If it doesnt start, check for spark and fuel. Locate the PCM and see if it got submerged.

You are very lucky the water did not get up above the dash.

Use a wet / dry vac to suck the carpet and seats dry, then allow it time to dry in the sun. You just might be able to return it without them suspecting a thing.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

More than likely they will total the car, due to the havoc caused when water reaches the electronic components of a car. Hopefully they will not, but if they do you are out at least your comp deductible.

Comment

Liability ONLY!!!!

The police didnt file a report, so if I can get the running again, hopefully I can just bring it back and forget about it.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

I would check your insurance paper work...most cover the use of rental vehicles. I know mine does...

Just out of curiosity...what was the rental? Sounds like you were in a Jeep or something...or were you pretending to be in a Jeep? LOL...just poking some fun atcha'

Hope you get it all worked out.

KnightFire
                1993 Formula Firebird
                Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Hahaha... I was going to try not to tell anyone... But the rental car was a 2000 Ford Focus!!! (Preteneding to be a Jeep) I was pretty impressed how the car handled the trails (untill the water.)

Luckily the car is only worth about 6k so if I have to pay for it, at least it wasnt a $20k car.
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

This sounds familiar. I had some friends that took their jeeps out into the pine barrens by Tabernacle over last weekend, and they saw a Cavalier or something of the like drowning in water with no one around. This is back in the trails in the woods. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that you're in Marlton.

Hopefully it works out for you!!!
                    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Thats where this happened!! All the way down Caranza Road.

The guy who pulled out the car says that there have been alot of cars getting stuck back there lately.
                      No F-Body right now

Comment

LMAO, too funny. One of the guys out with my friends got his jeep stuck in high water too. Hyrdo-locked it. No snorkel! DOH!
                        Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                          Use a wet / dry vac to suck the carpet and seats dry, then allow it time to dry in the sun. You just might be able to return it without them suspecting a thing.
                          That is straight up evil....

man if i owned a rent-a-car place, and some kid decided my focus was a jeep and went mudding through the woods in it, then drove it into a pond, left it there over night, had it towed back without a police report, then did the bare minimum to simply get it running again and returned it to me hoping i wouldn't notice... thats just low down and dirty. That car is goign to run like crap and that rent-a-car place is going to be out the money it paid, simply cause you wanted to run an uninsured car through the woods for fun. What happens to the next people who get that car after you, when the car breaks down on them?

Or, what if they take the car back but then their mechanic finds all the damage? That car's title should no longer be clean, and they're gonna come after you.

It sucks that it happened but geez, take responsibility for your own (stupid) mistakes. Other people shouldn't have to pay for your bad decisions, even if it's possible you can weasle out of it some how.

Comment

What did Forrest momy always say

Stupid is what stupid does

Most credit cards cover the rental insurance for the first month. That's why many people do not take insurance when they rent. Not sure though how it is when you ditch it somewhere. A friend of mine worked in TN and rented a house that was located off the main roads and he had to drive several miles on dirt roads.

One evening he ran off the road (he said deer but we thoght it was more like beer) and Hertz at first claimed that he was off roading and that he had to pay for it, until he got a report from the police stating that it was an official road.

Speaking off taking a Jeep off road. Years back I lived in Richmond and was driving our daughter to the barn. On the way there they were building a new sub division and they had the main road into the woods cut out but it was all mud. There was a dad with his little boy sitting in a brand new Jeep with the top removed sitting there. I could imagine the conversation that took place.

So I'm going to show you now what a piece of Amercian made 4 wheel drive car can do. And off they went into the mud. About half an hour later I was driving back home and when I came to the same place I saw the father with the son on his shoulders trying to walk out of the mud. I guess he got stuck somewhere in the back. I'm sure his wife gave him an ear full when he arrived all muddy on foot with no car.
                            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I wonder if any employees of the rental company read this board,if so justice will be done!!!!!!
                              94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

Working...
                              X