Flamethrower Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flamethrower Kit

I've seen some flamethrower kits on cars on TV recently and I am interested in them. You know, the kits that shoot flames out the tailpipes . I understand how they work and the steps involved to install one, but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them here or have any suggestions on them. So, basically, are they any good?

P.S. I know that it is not a performance mod but I personally think it is pretty cool. I also know you have to change your oil more because of them.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

If you do it, make sure to extend your pipes enough that you get the flames out past the rear bumper a ways. The reason you don't see them on newer cars, besides a general lack of interest, is all the expensive painted plastic back there.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to have in the front of the car?

Like if you end up behing a slow driver you send some flames towards him and I'm sure he'll move pretty darn quick. Same goes with pedestrians in the parking lot or x-walk. They would pick up the pace.

Of course you're gonna let your insurance company know so they can add additonal fire coverage, right?
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I was thinking about installing that for my car. I did alot of research about it and found that this is how it works- there is a module that kills spark but supplies fuel still, there is an extra coil mounted in the back and has a trigger when you hit the button the coil sparks the plug (only on cars without cat converters). The down side is that because off all the extra fuel in the combustion chamber you are washing down the walls with gas so you will need to cut your every 3000 mile oil change to like 1500 miles now, depending on how often you use it. So if you need to do that it can't be good for the life of the motor

thats my .02
        I LOVE COBRA'S -
        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Yeah, I have heard the same things that you have about the risks of using it. If I put a flamethrower kit on my car, I would definetely change the oil more and not use it too much. I don't really have any reason to use it all the time, the car is my daily driver and I don't want to mess up anything with the engine just cuz' I like to show off (which I don't do anyway, expect for revvin' it every now and then ).
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Warning! Warning!

These kits that are available are intended for use only on cars that do NOT have cats. Theuy work by dumoing raw gas through teh exhaust whhich will destroy teh cat.
            2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

The cats rule is bypassable.

There is an online company that makes a kit for use on all vehicles. They won't give you the instructions online, because of liability issues, however I do know how they work.

Most of these require that you run a line off of your fuel pump, and put a set of injectors in your tailpipes. You also install a set of spark plugs and a coil pack just like the regular version. These injectors spray raw fuel at the end of your pipe, and across the spark plugs. The plugs ignite the fuel, and your exhaust causes them to shoot out the back of the car. Extremely dangerous on an f-body, as you will burn the back bumper unless you extend the tailpipes. Me personally, I'd run around town with tailpipes 3 inches past the bumper to shoot 20 foot flames out the back at ricers.

Just imagine, 40 PSI of fuel pressure running through dedicated injectors and a 40,000 volt coil running only 2 spark plugs. Can you imagine the fire balls coming out of the back of your car?

If you're really ingenious (and got a lot of money) you can add a propane tank in the back of you car, and a set of propane nozzles inline before the injectors. So it would be propane, injector, spark plug. The propane would turn the flames into bluish green, and the pressure propane is under would cause them to blow out a long distance. Also, this allows you to do it at idle, or you could do it out of a set of dedicated pipes so you don't take the risk of a fireball coming back through your exhaust system.
              "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
              X