Which driveshaft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which driveshaft?

I was just wondering what driveshaft everyone would recommend between a carbon fiber one, or an aluminum one?

Aaron
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

The aluminum shafts are good for eliminating the vibrations that plague the stock steel driveshaft. The 1LE or LS1 aluminum DS will be fine for most bolt-on modified setups. There is a very small HP savings associated with the reduced mass of the aluminum DS.... and Keith at WS6.com showed with dyno testing that it is worth about 1.1HP and 5 lb-ft of torque.

WS6.com 1LE DS dyno test

In theory, you could save a little more than that with a carbon fiber DS, but to spend $700-800 for a couple HP is not cost effective. And.... I had an ACPT "heavy duty" CF DS (3.90" diam), and it broke with the car under minimal power, being driven from the engine shop to the body shop in "limp home" mode. ACPT stiffed me, claiming it was my fault, and it took kme many months to convince them that it was in fact a POS. Thanks to T. Byrne Motorsports where I bought it, I got my $725 back, but not the cost of shipping the broken shaft back to them.

In all honesty, if you aren't having vibration problems with the stock DS, leave it alone. When you start making serious HP, get a Denny's or Spohn steel DS, that will stand up to big HP.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking of getting the aluminum ds anyway. By the time I finish with all this work, it's going to seem like a new car.
      '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Working...
      X